• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Rander

Website
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone,

I am a new AAW member living outside of Paris, France. Born in California and now retired, I have spent most of my career as an experimental physicist working on particle physics experiments at the European laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland, rock-climbing and mountaineering in my rare free moments. Although I am new to wood turning, wood working roots run deep in our family. As youngsters, my brother Steve and I spent many enjoyable hours in dad’s home shop, building our first sailboat. His strength as a Portland Oregon boat-builder is certainly based on those early years.

My recent interest in wood turning was sparked by my wife’s desire to learn. Her birthday gift last spring was a new midi lathe. Somehow this brought back many old memories. A young boy with a hand plane very quickly learns what end grain is… and never really forgets that. At first I needed to understand a bit to help her start. Today that’s made much easier by the many videos on internet: Stuart Batty on Vimeo, Cindy Drozda, Sam Angelo, Carl Jacobson, Mike Waldt, and many others on YouTube. I am very grateful for all of these great videos and appreciate the work behind them. As for my turning, well, catches and similar surprises became less and less frequent as the wood shavings piled up, and fewer projects ended up in the chimney.

Here we have a small basement shop and the LEMANS TAB 050 midi lathe (12 5/8” swing & 1hp motor) is mounted on a solid DIY wooden stand. As I said, Brigitte, a French nurse, and I share time on this (“her”) machine. Our tools are traditional Hamlet spindle and bowl gouges, but we do use EWT carbide hollowing tools for small hollow forms.

Our home is on the edge of a broadleaf wood, mainly oaks. So I do pruning, felling, and tree-climbing as required. Chainsaw work is no surprise here, but I wouldn’t call my bowl blanks elegant.

I have particularly enjoyed learning to turn bowls and lidded boxes.

Thanks for having me!

Below are some photos of our shop, some of my recent work, and of course, getting bowl blanks the hard way...DJR_7571.jpg DJR_7606.jpg DJR_7608.jpg DJR_7644.jpg DJR_7718.jpg DJR_7737.jpg DJR_7756.jpg IMG_8707.jpg

Welcome to the AAW forum John. Beautiful turnings John. WOW, that is getting bowl blanks the hard way.... I see you have all the block and tackle and safety gear John. You must have been climbing trees for a good long while? Stay safe and don't fall....don't fool yourself John, your bowl blanks turned out very elegant.....Happy turning!

Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks, yes that's me up there. About 50 years of rock-climbing and mountaineering. Tree work since 1998. Yes, always two solid tie-in's when chain sawing. The big deal is not having the limb fall off into your ropes...

Here's a photo of Brigitte turning her first bowl (laminated Norway spruce) on "her" birthday lathe. As a left-hander its a bit slower getting started for her. She seems to understand my suggestions...

DJR_7647.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, John, and thanks for the great introduction. You have some very nice work and I can't believe that you just started turning. The tree in the last picture is a lot larger than the trees here in north Texas and I see a lot of potential bowls in it. :D

Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, John, and thanks for the great introduction. You have some very nice work and I can't believe that you just started turning. The tree in the last picture is a lot larger than the trees here in north Texas and I see a lot of potential bowls in it. :D
Thanks. Yes, I started turning late last spring, but I made a few lucky decisions: first, I set up a sharpening system before the lathe arrived and wasn’t afraid to use it, second, I bought only a couple of gouges at a time and learned to use them on scrap wood, and third, every time I had a question I would come back to the internet to see how you guys would do it. It makes a big difference if you understand something. You may laugh, but there was a small detail that brought a few more catches than I would have expected: I didn’t realize at first that the spindle gouge was sold with a “factory” grind. Golly things changed when I reground the shape :)

Back