• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Roberts

Hey Everyone! New to the AAW and reasonably new to turning. I've been doing my own woodworking for a few years now, and have always been interested in turning, just needed to allocate the funds to get into it. Having already learned the difficult lesson of not spending money on quality tools at the onset just to end up having to buy them later, I elected to not make that mistake on purchasing a lathe. I'd say I've learned the nuts and bolts of wood turning from watching videos, reading articles, but mostly taking what I've learned to the lathe and practicing. I have a local AAW chapter at my Woodcraft store, but haven't gotten around to joining because their weekly meeting jives with my family's schedule at the moment. I'll be joining as soon as time permits. Most recently I've been doing bowls, but have interest in pretty much anything I can do on a lathe. If I had to give an objective assessment of my skill level at the moment, on a craftsman scale it would probably be an apprentice. I've got some skills but definitely A LOT to learn, both in terms of knowledge and time on the lathe. Glad to be here, and I look forward to getting to know you all and appreciate your advice and tips in advance!

Thanks Hockenberry! I will certainly get there and am excited to do so. Like I said, it's just a matter of schedules not working out right now, gotta start somewhere though!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, John. As you are beginning to discover, woodturning can be an all-consuming hobby. And, learning new things is almost endless because of the great many facets of woodturning.

Back