• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Sisak

Hello Everyone,

I have been woodturning for a couple years now. I first heard about AAW through the Huron Valley Woodturners in S. E. Michigan. I’ve been turning mostly bowls, but am interested in expanding my wood turning experience. I also do other woodworking such as jewelry boxes, furniture etc.

image.jpeg

8F5C71D8-4250-46CB-8764-BC34F774A459.jpeg

image.jpeg

38811038-EAB8-416B-A384-D570907AEDE3.jpeg

E0904B15-A8BD-4DE8-A69B-3C33C1F1AFAD.jpeg

3DC7689B-A53E-4FE4-AD33-E27496597381.jpeg

Looks like you are a segmenter John! Welcome to the AAW forum. Segmentedwoodturners.org might be an interesting place to check out Brother! I like lurking in both places; you can never get enough of this stuff!

John,

Welcome, you definitely will expand your knowledge and skills by turning different types of items on the lathe. The smaller turning projects can be rewarding as they don't require hours of prep time to assemble all of the segments and glue time and precise cutting etc. When I first started turning I would select a new item each week to turn and did the research and would turn them until I was happy with the results. Repetition in lathe turning builds tool skills and muscle memory that you can apply towards more advanced projects. Most wood turners will turn ornaments every year which is a good project to build refined tool techniques for spindle type turning and mastering shapes and angles. If you where to assemble a list of small turning projects you could turn something new every day for a couple of years before you ran out of ideas. Special jigs and tools are needed for many of the turning projects, building the required jigs and tools will expand the number items you can turn. Many of these jigs and tools can be made on your lathe, those projects can also be fun and rewarding.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hello Everyone,

I have been woodturning for a couple years now. I first heard about AAW through the Huron Valley Woodturners in S. E. Michigan. I’ve been turning mostly bowls, but am interested in expanding my wood turning experience. I also do other woodworking such as jewelry boxes, furniture etc.

View attachment 33444

View attachment 33387

View attachment 33445

View attachment 33388

View attachment 33390

View attachment 33391
Welcome to the forum. Love your work, a bit jealous, never dome flatwork. Glad to have you aboard. Aloha

Back