• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Snow

No, not that John Snow (father of epidemiology), or that Jon Snow (character in Game of Thrones).

I have been woodworking as a hobby for several decades. I have built lots of "square" furniture, e.g., tables, beds, bookcases, boxes, boxes, and more boxes, and a dresser. But no chairs! They're scary with those wacky angles. I've had a few small lathes for years, but never really used them until lately when I started turning some bowls. It's lots of fun, and I intend to turn a bunch more. My current lathe is a Jet 1221 VSK, mounted on a sturdy shop-made rolling bench.

One side project I have is to complete the lathe built by my great-grandfather. He was a carpenter in Palo Alto, California in the early 1900s. Unfortunately, he got hurt and had to retire from carpentry, but kept his hand in the game by building little wood lathe during the Depression. It's made of very odd scrap parts, cleverly arranged to make the lathe. I have his head stock, tail stock, motor mount, and a couple of tools he made from metal files. I also have a 1920s-vintage electric motor I can mount to it. What I need now is to make some ways and legs. I have located a house near me that was built in 1925, slated to be torn down in the next few weeks. I am hoping to get 1925-vintage Douglas fir lumber from it to complete my ancestor's project.

Back