• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Whitley

Hi all,

I came to woodworking via a pretty unusual route: I made a braid that was too big. You see, I’m very far down the rabbit hole of traditional Japanese braidwork, or kumihimo. There are a number of traditional stands for this art, including a vaguely weaving-loom like stand called a takadai. While exploring the bounds of wide, scarf-sized work on takadai, I ran into some pretty uncomfortable limits on my traditional stand. I decided to fix this by redesigning and building my own equipment, which first and foremost involved figuring out which end was up with woodworking.

Fast-forward a decade or so: learning the basics of woodworking, taking workshops here and there, and working out of co-op shops. Now I’m fortunate enough to be able to put together my own shop. I decided a lathe would be a useful addition, and picked up a Nova Galaxi DVR. Sadly, the shop is still caught up in the whirlwinds of The Eternal Remodel, so the lathe itself sits boxed, biding its time. Hopefully by late Summer or early Fall, I’ll have it merrily throwing chips everywhere.

Wow, I thought I‘d maybe forgotten to make an intro post. Nope, it was just >two years< before the point I was actually able to get the lathe setup and running. Recently completed an intro to turning workshop, tweaking the lathe/grinder/tools shop layout, etc. Off I go!

Back