• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joshua Rhodes

Hello everyone, I'm Joshua, I from the wonderful state of South Carolina. I am a complete newbie in regards to woodturning. I've long considered it as a hobby I'd get to when I was too old and unable to hunt, hike a mountain or ride fast things on 2 wheels. Well apparently that age is 35, according to my pregnant wife. She kindly requested in no uncertain terms that I find a hobby closer to home. So I here I am gleaning as much knowledge as you good people would like to dispose upon me. I've never turned wood before but from where I sit it looks very methodical and therapeutic so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm currently shopping lathes and tools and learning about the world of wood turning. I thoroughly look forward to interacting and learning with all of you.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome,

I encourage you to connect with a local chapter of the AAW.
AAW chapter provide the personal interaction.

Most clubs have demonstrations at each meeting to show members how to...
Great resource for tools, classes, mentoring, wood......,

Looks like the closed chapter to you is in Evans Georgia
http://savannahriverwoodturners.org/

Thanks. I appreciate the info regarding the Evans chapter hockenbery I was unaware of one that close. That's just across the river in Georgia where my wife is from. There is a Palmetto Woodturners located out of Columbia SC that I found but that's about an hour away from my location. I had planned to join that chapter but I may look at the Evans chapter instead due to the convenience of proximity.

Welcome to the addicting habit of woodturning. There are lots of questions already answered on this forum so try the search function and then ask questions on the results you find. This is one hobby that will always want to change the things you do with it , so get ready for the ride.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Joshua, welcome to the forum!

And you'll be glad down the road (if you'll pardon the pun) that you're not doing the two wheel thing...

After the 3rd time riding sideways on concrete, I traded my last bike in.

I have a brother in Mt. Croghan up near NC.

Thanks for the welcome Mark and I agree about the bikes, they can be precarious at the best of times. I've had my fun for the most part, I'll probably keep a small cc bike around for a few Saturday morning rides around town. However I'm hoping I may find that this new hobby of woodturning is far more alluring.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thanks for the welcome Mark and I agree about the bikes, they can be precarious at the best of times. I've had my fun for the most part, I'll probably keep a small cc bike around for a few Saturday morning rides around town. However I'm hoping I may find that this new hobby of woodturning is far more alluring.

Well you can for sure spend more money on this than on a bike. :)

I'm beginning to realize that this is not a poor man's hobby @Mark Hepburn. Please tell me the major deluge of cost is at the initial buy in for lathe and turning tools. I may be trading that bike in after all to support this habit. :D

Wish we could say that. There will be the second or third lathe in a couple years. Then the latest and greatest turning tools AND accessories. The hollowing rigs you will just have to have. Oh I forgot all the supplies and finishes well you will have to try all of them to get down to the one or two you like.o_O

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm beginning to realize that this is not a poor man's hobby @Mark Hepburn. Please tell me the major deluge of cost is at the initial buy in for lathe and turning tools. I may be trading that bike in after all to support this habit. :D

If you study hard and work at it - after a while you might get a financial surprise.
Woodturning is a hobby you can get a financial return from if you sell your work.

Good hustlers make money at golf. Good woodturners have income opportunities
Our local art shows all have cash prizes which sometimes are won by woodturners.
The small prizes would buy a jet1221 the big ones a powermatic with money left over.

You can at least offset the cost of the new toys.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

Sure Joshua. I'll tell you that. :D:D

So I saw this for sale the other day but I'm unsure if it's still available as I haven't been able to reach the seller. But for 6
$650 you get a nova comet ii, nova comet sharpening system, 2 horsepower vacuum dust collector, angle sanding system, g3chuck, beall buffing system, 3 standard and 2 micro carbide tools, figure 8 calipers, faceshield, Benjamin best lathe tool and various other lathe accessories. So if this is still a go am I a fool to pass this up even though the comet has a shorter bed than I want at the moment. Is this a decent lathe to begin on?

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
So I saw this for sale the other day but I'm unsure if it's still available as I haven't been able to reach the seller. But for 6
$650 you get a nova comet ii, nova comet sharpening system, 2 horsepower vacuum dust collector, angle sanding system, g3chuck, beall buffing system, 3 standard and 2 micro carbide tools, figure 8 calipers, faceshield, Benjamin best lathe tool and various other lathe accessories. So if this is still a go am I a fool to pass this up even though the comet has a shorter bed than I want at the moment. Is this a decent lathe to begin on?

I saw the Jet JWL-1015 mini six speed lathe for $399 on Amazon versus $379 for the Nova Comet II variable speed lathe. I have the earlier version of the Jet mini six speed lathe (circa 2005) and in my opinion the six speed Jet lathe is a much better way to go despite the allure of variable speed. Variable speed comes at a price of being very wimpy at the low speeds. If you're only going to turn pens, bottle stoppers and the like then variable speed might be the way to go. The only minor downside of the Jet is the lowest speed is 500 RPM. However, the Jet Can deliver the full half horsepower at all speeds which means that there is plenty of torque at low speed for turning anything that will fit on the lathe. Jet also makes a variable speed version of its mini lathe for a little more money, but I would still prefer the six speed lathe. Once upon a time Jet made an extension for the bed of their mini lathe, but I don't know if they still do.

I don't know about the so-called vacuum dust collector, but that sure sounds like a shop vac to me and I can guarantee that it is nowhere near 2 HP ... probably more like 0.2 HP, and I am not kidding.

The Nova Comet sharpening system is a small grinding wheel that attaches to the headstock of the Nova Comet lathe. I don't know how well it works, but I think that a half horsepower 8" Rikon bench grinder would be much better. However, the cost is about $100 on sale at Woodcraft. The Nova G3 chuck is a good chuck, but I have no personal experience using it.

I would want to know more about the faceshield since that is a very important safety item. Having one that is well built and sturdy is important.

It's hard to know what you would be getting with the various lathe tools and accessories. The Benjamin's Best lathe tools are a reasonably good set of entry level tools. If you stick with it then you will want to get better tools , but you'll know if and when and what. The main thing to know is that it isn't the tool, but the person holding the tool that really matters the most. Knowing how to properly sharpen your tool is at least as important as knowing how to use them correctly. Carbide tools can't be sharpened ... you just replace the carbide tips when they get dull. Carbide tools are easy to use, but they are basically just scraping tools and limit what you can achieve.

The Beall buffing system is something that I own, but have only used a few times. Other people use it a lot. My opinion is don't think of it as something that enhances the value of the package deal.

The figure 8 caliper is basically a stocking stuffer, but you'll use it occasionally.

Various other accessories could mean anything, maybe sandpaper.

I'm not a fan of package deals because a lot of the stuff is typically useless fluff. This deal is OK, but personally I would prefer to pick and choose what I want even though it would mean spending more.

If you can attend a local club meeting you might possibly find a lead to a used lathe and other turning paraphernalia for less money.

Bill I'm in agreement with you and am inclined to be more discriminating in the selection of the tools and equipment I purchase. I have found 2 local chapters of AAW which meet on different weekends of the month, in fact I'm attending one this Saturday. I plan to attend these and immerse myself in the woodturning world just to see what's out there and what I enjoy. I've had my eye on midi lathes but I'm considering I may want to wait and buy a "big boy" lathe as a first. No matter which lathe and tool set I choose it will be a significant purchase, I think for now I'm going to give myself a 4 to 6 month research period to really see and get to know what's out there and the nuances that make this tool or that lathe more favorable to what I see myself turning as my knowledge and skill develops. Thank you for the thorough explanation you offered above. I've been very grateful and surprised at the enthusiasm and help so many have afforded me just a few days into this journey. IT IS APPRECIATED!

Back