• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Journal Balance way off? or right on?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I made a scorecard for the journal (end of post)
I'm interested in what other scorecards might look like?
I got the the following:
33% is aimed all levels (membership and organization information)
9% beginner
27% intermediate (can turn a bowl without help rarely get a catch)
27% advanced (getting juried into shows, invited to demonstrate)
3% professional (earns a living from woodturning)

Most beginners move to intermediate by 6 months on their own and in a few weeks with good instruction.

My conclusion is that the journal just about right. New members won't want beginning article in 6 months. The AAW population is roughly 3% professional, 10% beginner, 10% advanced, 72% intermediate.

Below is how I see the last issue Pick you own levels

author subj pp's level
book review 1 advanced
exhibitions 4 advanced
John Jordan Hollow form 12 Intermediate
Jim Rogers face plates 2 beginner
Peter Galbert Stool 6 Intermediate
gary roberts pie crimper 4 beginner
dennis devendra seeing differently 3 all levels
Doughtie/Kramer alternate realities 4 advanced
Gary Bennet Stepping away 3 advanced
Terry Martin Perfect marriage 5 advanced
Arthur Mason wood and color 5 all levels
calendar/announcements 2 all levels
Steve Butler Turn UP 2 professional
woodturners chatter 1 all levels
eog 1 advanced
association news and notes 11 all levels

Happy Turning,
Al

Al,

It doesn't seem as though folks want to stick their neck out and give you an answer. Its not worth being dumb if you don't prove it from time to time, so here goes.

I think Betty's first issue of the Journal was fine, as was most of what I saw from former editor Carl. It is impossible to be all things to all people all of the time. That is not an opinion, that is fact period. Ever since I started hanging around the AAW Forum, every issue brought dissatisfaction and sometimes sharp criticism about one aspect of the publication or another. Strangely, it seemed the same people were complaining about different things. No one issue is going to make all members happy, it would be a fools errand to try. Should one Journal serendipitously please all of us, I predict it would become a collectors item.

I think the percentages you list are reasonably accurate, and mirror pretty well the multi-faceted face of the organization.

Al,
Excellent analysis of the last Journal and comparison to experience level of membership.

Jake,
Excellent analysis of the social situation regarding the Journal.

I have complete confidence in Betty to deliver a product she can be proud of and be interesting and useful to the membership. I wish Carl the best in the future. These are both wonderful people that woodturning has given me the opportunity to meet.

Frank Kobilsek
Mendota, IL

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
First of all I believe there is a complete lack of balance in the content as far as appeal to the various interests and skill levels of the membership.

There are nine feature articles, four of these deal strictly with art and much of the content of those four have little or nothing to do with woodturning. For example, A Perfect Marriage Wood and Color contains eight photographs, six have nothing to do with woodturning. The two that do, one is a photo of Binh Pho. Now I like and admire Mr. Pho's work but why do I need to see a photo of him speaking with the Assistant Director of the Mint Museum? What is interesting or informative about that? Twirling, stepping away from bowl-ness. A photo of a Castrol oil can with a funnel and a light bulb, A photo of a galvanized bucket containing colored light bulbs, a photo of a bent nail hammered into a piece of fine furniture, a photo of two unturned blocks one sitting atop of the other Pre turned wood object, now that's truly inspiring and has me running to the shop. What exactly is the purpose of these photographs? Of what interest to a woodturner? What did these articles and photographs cost US?

Then we have the Antique piecrust crimper and a half page devoted to an apple pie recipe as well as a photo of the pie. Why? How much did WE pay for the pie recipe and photo?

Next is Tapered Mortise and Tenon, how much of it was devoted to turning? I could be mistaken but it seems that the only mention of turning is a small bit in paragraphs seventeen, eighteen and twenty. The top isn't even turned. This is an article much more suited to Fine Woodworking than the AAW Journal.What did this article cost US?

How about Faceplates, A simple solution to attachment. Two full pages with eight photographs devoted to a subject that could be covered with no photographs and two paragraphs in a Tips or Beginners section, neither of which by the way exist. How much money did WE pay for photographs of faceplates?

Finally in the Features we have John Jordan's Turned and Carved Hollow Vessel. I could never hope to be the turner that Mr. Jordan is, this criticism isn't about him but it is about the composition of the article. Forty nine photos, why? Photo on page 53 shows John's hand and shavings. Same page shows John roughing...why? Photo on same page explains that the shoulder on the wood should touch the shoulder of the chuck jaw and the photo shows how it shouldn't be.....I suppose. Page 54 "Raising a burr with a slipstone" photo...why do we need that photo? Photo on page 56...Blowing out shavings with compressed air. These photos are not instructive and are not needed to support the text. These are an example of valuable wasted space as well as a waste of OUR money. What's the purpose of a photo showing John holding a compressed air hose to the hollow form opening? While I enjoyed the text I saw no reason for so many photos, they weren't needed to support the text and took up more than half of the space. I'd rather have a 1/3 the photos and had more of John's written instruction.

Educational Opportunity Grant, eight graders introduced to woodturning. The EOG is a wonderful program and teaching youth is tremendously important but why are we looking at a photo of Linda VanGehuchten? Linda is a very talented turner and instructor but it seems to me that we should be looking at photographs of the eighth graders turning and not Linda turning.

I'm the past president of the Cape Atlantic Woodturners AAW chapter, founding member and president of the Jersey Cape Woodturners Guild, an AAW Star chapter, member of the Executive committee of the Delaware Valley Woodturners. At all of the various woodturning functions that I participate in, I constantly strive to enlist new members in the AAW. When a prospective members asks me how his or her joining will benefit them one of my answers is always "You'll receive four issues of the AAW Journal every year". On more occasions than I care to admit, the response is, "I've looked at it, there's nothing in it for me", or "Why would I want that, it's all art stuff". Looking at the current issue I'm afraid that I'd have to agree.

Where are the articles for the meat and potatoes of the AAW membership? The average, everyday turner who probably makes up 80% or more of the membership. What happened to the Bob Rosand, Nick Cook and Alan Lacer articles. Why don't WE have a Tips section? Why don't WE have at least one article every month devoted to beginner turners and another devoted to intermediate types? Do I want to read a beginners article? No, but lots of others do. If we can give space to photos of what amounts to a glue block with an X on the end, apple pie recipes, photos of apple pies, stool joinery and brightly colored furniture then how is this the AAW Journal? I'm all for articles about artistic turning, in fact I wish I had the ability to do that kind of work. But WE need balance.

The AAW Mission statement reads; The AAW is an international, nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of woodturning. Our mission is to PROVIDE EDUCATION, INFORMATION and organization to those interested in WOODTURNING.

At the annual symposium the youth turning program is always a hit. We're always seeking ways to attract and retain members. Well, use the Journal.

If the AAW is going to fulfill it's mission statement it had better provide balance in it's journal, the instrument with which it reaches the public and potential new members. When a fledgling turner picks up a journal at a newsstand (by the way Borders, a huge chain does not carry the Journal) or a chapter meeting he or she had better see something that's of interest. Based on the latest Journal, that's not happening. I applaud the plan to expand to six issues but, if they're anything like the current issue, we're in trouble.

Last edited:
Website
Also

Al,

While I appreciate your posting this question I can't help but think of recent musings by forum moderator Steve Worcester both here and at Wood Central where he pondered why so few members post at the AAW forums. Consider this thread...11 days since you posted and there are only three responding.

I would much prefer, as I've suggested in two email to the AAW BOD that they post this question of journal balance at a prominent location on the main AAW website. Better yet send an email to all chapter presidents asking them to poll their membership and report the results to the board. There would be no expense involved in this query and they'd be responding to and serving the AAW membership in seeking out their opinions. I haven't received a response concerning this request.

Thanks
Mike Cunningham

Last edited:
First of all I believe there is a complete lack of balance in the content as far as appeal to the various interests and skill levels of the membership.

There are nine feature articles, four of these deal strictly with art and much of the content of those four have little or nothing to do with woodturning. For example, A Perfect Marriage Wood and Color contains eight photographs, six have nothing to do with woodturning. The two that do, one is a photo of Binh Pho. Now I like and admire Mr. Pho's work but why do I need to see a photo of him speaking with the Assistant Director of the Mint Museum? What is interesting or informative about that? Twirling, stepping away from bowl-ness. A photo of a Castrol oil can with a funnel and a light bulb, A photo of a galvanized bucket containing colored light bulbs, a photo of a bent nail hammered into a piece of fine furniture, a photo of two unturned blocks one sitting atop of the other Pre turned wood object, now that's truly inspiring and has me running to the shop. What exactly is the purpose of these photographs? Of what interest to a woodturner? What did these articles and photographs cost US?

Then we have the Antique piecrust crimper and a half page devoted to an apple pie recipe as well as a photo of the pie. Why? How much did WE pay for the pie recipe and photo?

Next is Tapered Mortise and Tenon, how much of it was devoted to turning? I could be mistaken but it seems that the only mention of turning is a small bit in paragraphs seventeen, eighteen and twenty. The top isn't even turned. This is an article much more suited to Fine Woodworking than the AAW Journal.What did this article cost US?

How about Faceplates, A simple solution to attachment. Two full pages with eight photographs devoted to a subject that could be covered with no photographs and two paragraphs in a Tips or Beginners section, neither of which by the way exist. How much money did WE pay for photographs of faceplates?

Finally in the Features we have John Jordan's Turned and Carved Hollow Vessel. I could never hope to be the turner that Mr. Jordan is, this criticism isn't about him but it is about the composition of the article. Forty nine photos, why? Photo on page 53 shows John's hand and shavings. Same page shows John roughing...why? Photo on same page explains that the shoulder on the wood should touch the shoulder of the chuck jaw and the photo shows how it shouldn't be.....I suppose. Page 54 "Raising a burr with a slipstone" photo...why do we need that photo? Photo on page 56...Blowing out shavings with compressed air. These photos are not instructive and are not needed to support the text. These are an example of valuable wasted space as well as a waste of OUR money. What's the purpose of a photo showing John holding a compressed air hose to the hollow form opening? While I enjoyed the text I saw no reason for so many photos, they weren't needed to support the text and took up more than half of the space. I'd rather have a 1/3 the photos and had more of John's written instruction.

Educational Opportunity Grant, eight graders introduced to woodturning. The EOG is a wonderful program and teaching youth is tremendously important but why are we looking at a photo of Linda VanGehuchten? Linda is a very talented turner and instructor but it seems to me that we should be looking at photographs of the eighth graders turning and not Linda turning.

I'm the past president of the Cape Atlantic Woodturners AAW chapter, founding member and president of the Jersey Cape Woodturners Guild, an AAW Star chapter, member of the Executive committee of the Delaware Valley Woodturners. At all of the various woodturning functions that I participate in, I constantly strive to enlist new members in the AAW. When a prospective members asks me how his or her joining will benefit them one of my answers is always "You'll receive four issues of the AAW Journal every year". On more occasions than I care to admit, the response is, "I've looked at it, there's nothing in it for me", or "Why would I want that, it's all art stuff". Looking at the current issue I'm afraid that I'd have to agree.

Where are the articles for the meat and potatoes of the AAW membership? The average, everyday turner who probably makes up 80% or more of the membership. What happened to the Bob Rosand, Nick Cook and Alan Lacer articles. Why don't WE have a Tips section? Why don't WE have at least one article every month devoted to beginner turners and another devoted to intermediate types? Do I want to read a beginners article? No, but lots of others do. If we can give space to photos of what amounts to a glue block with an X on the end, apple pie recipes, photos of apple pies, stool joinery and brightly colored furniture then how is this the AAW Journal? I'm all for articles about artistic turning, in fact I wish I had the ability to do that kind of work. But WE need balance.

The AAW Mission statement reads; The AAW is an international, nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of woodturning. Our mission is to PROVIDE EDUCATION, INFORMATION and organization to those interested in WOODTURNING.

At the annual symposium the youth turning program is always a hit. We're always seeking ways to attract and retain members. Well, use the Journal.

If the AAW is going to fulfill it's mission statement it had better provide balance in it's journal, the instrument with which it reaches the public and potential new members. When a fledgling turner picks up a journal at a newsstand (by the way Borders, a huge chain does not carry the Journal) or a chapter meeting he or she had better see something that's of interest. Based on the latest Journal, that's not happening. I applaud the plan to expand to six issues but, if they're anything like the current issue, we're in trouble.

Mike, to answer just one of your many questions, with a question..............if it is so important to the membership .........why does John Lucas have to solicit for "Tips" on several other websites besides here on the AAW Forum.

Website
Mike, to answer just one of your many questions, with a question..............if it is so important to the membership .........why does John Lucas have to solicit for "Tips" on several other websites besides here on the AAW Forum.

I don't know why John needs to go to several websites to solicit for "Tips", I suppose for the same reason that Steve wonders why few members post here. Reading and posting on this website apparently isn't important to them. There are more than 13000 members, this thread has only 7 replies over an 11 day period and 5 of them are from you and me. I've also suggested that the journal have an "Ask the expert" or similar title where members can submit questions via email or other means. The questions would then be answered by the contributing editors. This would be similar to the "Ask Dale" column authored by Dale Nish in Woodturning Design. I don't see Dale or Joe Herrmann soliciting for questions on websites so apparently it works. I'd also venture to guess that the same contributing editors could submit any number of tips which could be published. Readers/members rarely take the time to write and voice their opinions but they sure discuss and complain amongst themselves and eventually apathy can set it and what does that lead to?........declining membership numbers. Do you think that a potential member who picked up the latest issue would have found it interesting?

On another note, Al attempts to categorize the various features, columns, etc by skill levels. There are several articles that have nothing to do with woodturning and quite frankly can't be fit into any skill level category.

Last edited:
Website
It seems to me that the journal should follow Article III of the AAW bylaws which state:

A. Benefits of Members
It is the intention of this Association to offer:
1. For collectors of lathe-turned objects, education about turners and turning
styles, and an opportunity to communicate directly with turners.
2. For hobbyists, students, amateur or part-time woodturners, technical
information about wood and woodturning tools machinery, safety tips, and
also a vehicle for establishing and maintaining communication among others
with similar interests.
3. For professional woodturners, increased awareness of the changing standards
of their craft, active promotion of studio woodturning to galleries, collectors,
museums, and the public.
4. For master craftsmen woodturners, an avenue through which they can both
meet and share their techniques and theories with their peers and with others
interested in fine woodturning; and also, to help promote public interest in
collecting fine lathe-turned objects by museums and by other permanent,
visible collections.
5. For galleries and other dealers in lathe-turned objects, both a vehicle for
notifying turners and the interested public in shows or seminars featuring such
works, and an outlet for articles, critiques or discussions on topics of interest
to woodturners.
6. For retail sellers of wood, tools, machinery, finishes, and other supplies,
highly focused access to those who purchase such goods and services.

Dale's column and the Pie Crust Crimper

I hate to tell you Mike but if you had read the editor's letter in the Woodturning Designs magazine, Dale's Column almost died for lack of questions after one or two issues. He had to beg for question to be submitted.

Make sure and have your facts straight before you label something.

Also, when I shared the latest journal with a group of fellow artist, the "Antique Pie Crust Crimper" was the item that grabbed their interest the most, followed closely by John Jordan's Article. The utility aspect of the "art" was what they raved about. It was not only art, but you could use it for the purpose it was designed for not just set it on a shelf.

Clayton

I don't know why John needs to go to several websites to solicit for "Tips", I suppose for the same reason that Steve wonders why few members post here. Reading and posting on this website apparently isn't important to them. There are more than 13000 members, this thread has only 7 replies over an 11 day period and 5 of them are from you and me. I've also suggested that the journal have an "Ask the expert" or similar title where members can submit questions via email or other means. The questions would then be answered by the contributing editors. This would be similar to the "Ask Dale" column authored by Dale Nish in Woodturning Design. I don't see Dale or Joe Herrmann soliciting for questions on websites so apparently it works. I'd also venture to guess that the same contributing editors could submit any number of tips which could be published. Readers/members rarely take the time to write and voice their opinions but they sure discuss and complain amongst themselves and eventually apathy can set it and what does that lead to?........declining membership numbers. Do you think that a potential member who picked up the latest issue would have found it interesting?

On another note, Al attempts to categorize the various features, columns, etc by skill levels. There are several articles that have nothing to do with woodturning and quite frankly can't be fit into any skill level category.

The answer to Steve's question, partially lies in this my opening statement, First off Mike, thank you for keeping the discussion civilized. As to John's never ending quest for voluntary input, you are right the majority of members do not care(enough.)
I believe you said you have been a officer in an AAW Chapter, as such you must be aware of the ten percent rule. You know 10% of the membership shoulder most of the load. I think the AAW is the same only on a larger scale. The biggest majority pay their dues and take away what they feel they need or want from the organization and ignore the rest. To them the Journal is not important it is merely fluff.
I do believe Betty's first issue was very much of interest(at least for me.) Because I view it as what the possibilities are, not as an all inclusive answer to my personal turning problems. I find the answers to those problems in demos and hands on classes and standing in front of my lathe after reading of a solution on this forum or another.
As for the Ask_______ whomever column pitch it on the forum and ask for members to write the Journal individually. If enough respond maybe they will take notice. There are certainly enough "Pros" in the organization that would jump at the chance for the exposure of answering questions in a national journal.

Website
The answer to Steve's question, partially lies in this my opening statement, First off Mike, thank you for keeping the discussion civilized. As to John's never ending quest for voluntary input, you are right the majority of members do not care(enough.)
I believe you said you have been a officer in an AAW Chapter, as such you must be aware of the ten percent rule. You know 10% of the membership shoulder most of the load. I think the AAW is the same only on a larger scale. The biggest majority pay their dues and take away what they feel they need or want from the organization and ignore the rest. To them the Journal is not important it is merely fluff.
I do believe Betty's first issue was very much of interest(at least for me.) Because I view it as what the possibilities are, not as an all inclusive answer to my personal turning problems. I find the answers to those problems in demos and hands on classes and standing in front of my lathe after reading of a solution on this forum or another.
As for the Ask_______ whomever column pitch it on the forum and ask for members to write the Journal individually. If enough respond maybe they will take notice. There are certainly enough "Pros" in the organization that would jump at the chance for the exposure of answering questions in a national journal.

I wouldn't think of engaging in any manner but civilized. I agree, in any organization 10% or thereabouts do the work. As for the journal, my point goes back to Al asking if it's off, or balanced and I say it's not balanced. As for Ask Whomever, this forum, as you point out, doesn't get the activity. Perhaps that same question in the pages of the journal or on the AAW main web site or emailed to chapter presidents would. Ask Whomever was simply one example, I think the journal needs to address as many different types or levels of members (as defined in the bylaws) in each issue. Tips, techniques, projects, artistic articles. The most recent issue contained as much or more non-woodturner related writing as actual turning. Clayton, I'm pleased for you that your artist friends enjoyed the pie crimper article. Since you had to show the article to them that means they don't receive the journal so aren't members of AAW. At your next chapter meeting ask the other members, woodturners what they thought of the issue. I'm talking balance and inclusion, trying to hit as many member types as often as possible. I certainly don't expect to find that every article in every issue if of interest to me, I understand that you won't make all members happy at all times but you need to try to make most happy, trying to devote some space to each.

Last edited:
I would like to respond to Michael's observations concerning Journal content. As a fence-rider EX member I can echo many of Michael's concerns. I to found the Journal lacking in interesting (at least for me) content. So much so that I became a EX member by simply letting my membership lapse. Michael's comments appear to be spot on concerning content/balance. If as I suspect, Michael's statistical figures reflect a general cross-sectional view of the AAW membership, AAW BOD should take notice. I suspect as well that a good percentage of turners are geographically located in areas that aren't serviced by AAW woodturning clubs. I am at least 100 miles from the nearest club, but I try to make it to meetings when I can. AAW Journal was the main source for my instruction and enjoyment concerning woodturning. With 3 lathes and more tools than I know how to properly use, I needed LOTS of instruction and guidance. I do frequent this site but I got to tell ya, more and more I go to WOODTURNING ONLINE for information.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Personally, I don't rate a magazine, and or a new editor, by a single issue. It is a cumulative score.

I find something in every issue I like, and maybe skip over others. I subscribe to a dozen (at least) magazines, keep very few, but enjoy them all.

.................................. As a fence-rider EX member I can echo many of Michael's concerns. I to found the Journal lacking in interesting (at least for me) content. So much so that I became a EX member by simply letting my membership lapse.................................... AAW Journal was the main source for my instruction and enjoyment concerning woodturning. With 3 lathes and more tools than I know how to properly use, I needed LOTS of instruction and guidance. I do frequent this site but I got to tell ya, more and more I go to WOODTURNING ONLINE for information.

Garmar,

Your post is very timely. You are a case in point, you joined the AAW for specific reasons. When the organization did not provide you with what you wanted(in this case the journal content) you voted with you feet and dollar, you walked and allowed your membership to lapse. You did the right thing, unfortunately, at least for you, the majority of the 13,000 members don't see the Journal as being that all encompassing and important. Because if they did it would change.

Personally, I don't rate a magazine, and or a new editor, by a single issue. It is a cumulative score.

I find something in every issue I like, and maybe skip over others. I subscribe to a dozen (at least) magazines, keep very few, but enjoy them all.

Spot on. I'm sure there is much more to come.

"the majority of the 13,000 members don't see the Journal as being that all ENCOMPASSING OR IMPORTANT. Because if they did it would change. "

Jake, I agree with you 100% and that's kind of sad.

.............Jake, I agree with you 100% and that's kind of sad.

Garmar,

I promise I'm going away after this post. I really do not think it is "sad" so much as it just is. I suspect that the larger majority of members are satisfied with the Journal, or get what they want from the organization in other ways. Otherwise how can you explain 13,000 members? To be sure there are many such as yourself, that either do not join or walk away dissatisfied in some way because the organization does not offer what they deem important. But the net result is a growing AAW.

My parting thought: I already know what is, I just need to look around my own shop. The Journal shows me what can be, perhaps not for me, but hey ya never know.:D

Well, I don't think I know what is. 13,000 members is a impressive number, but look at what might have been. In the AAW chapters I have visited and those I have talked with it seems that a SMALL percentage of the members (only two chapters to be fair) happen to be AAW members. I don't know why they choose not to be a member. At any rate I didn't mean to hijack this thread and I will bow out.

I am a happy AAW member

I am trying to figure out why not posting or not giving tips means one is NOT happy with the forum or journal. One can get a lot out of both without typing anything. I am not aware of anything I do that could be a tip. There may be somethings, but I do not think that way. I ask and answer questions of those around me.

I look forward to each issue of the American Woodturner!

Some have more for me than others, but each entertains and educates me. I can say the same about Fine Woodworking. I like the variety in the AW. I liked the pie crimper article. (I love apple pie.:D) I like turning items that are useful and pretty. I like seeing professional turners turn their art pieces. I go to my local chapters' (I belong to two.) guest demos and hands on days to get a look at what others do.

I have seen Alan Batty when he still traveled. I had been turning 3 months and did not know who he was-but a local AAW member told me I HAD to go see him. $30 for 2 hours seemed like a lot on July 31, 2002, but I still think about what he demoed that night!. I joined my local AAW chapters and the AAW shortly after that.

Alan Lacer traveled to my local club and did a demo day and a hands on day. I drove to Sacramento to see the demo on the weekend, took a personal day from work for the hands on day and between the two Alans my skew and I are friends.

I've been to two Symposiums and plan to go to Albuquerque. The AAW is where I get inspiration and knowledge to enjoy turning. (I grew up before girls got to take shop, so AAW membership and participation is one way I find out how things are done.)

My AAW glass is way more than half full.
Ann Herbst

Website
Ann,

I agree about your AAW glass being more than half full, mine too. I love the AAW, my reason for posting is just that.

Jake and all,

13,000 is a rather large number however, a friend is AAW number 33*** so I'm guessing that "they" hand out membership numbers consecutively without repeating, so perhaps we could have more than 30,000 members. My earlier point is, all members need to be served equally. While I think that the majority of members are probably intermediate and less skilled types I wouldn't suggest that most of the journal content or anything else that the AAW provides equal that. I just fear that there's been a trend away from the beginner and intermediate and too far to the artistic side. Balance and inclusion, a little bit for everyone.

Mike

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
mike,

I am of the opinion that most beginners move to intermediate within 6 months and those that take a quality class make the move in a few weeks.

So a beginner gets 2 Journals in 6 months as a beginner and 2 more while an intermediate.

I do feel the AAW should do more for beginners. I think the answer is not in the Journal but in some welcome a board package.
One place to start would be the free back articles in the members only section. Those already available could be packaged as "new member/new turner projects. Additional project/techniques/tools that would be suitable for beginners could be added.

The fact is most things can be turned at any level,
intermediates often learn from both beginner articles and from advanced Articles. The true beginner article needs photos that explain the bevel and how to present the tool to the wood.

A great beginner project is a gavel.
It is a great project for a kids class
It is also something I've done on commission for special presentations for Elks etc.

happy turning,
AL

No organization can be all things to all members, unless it has only a very basic premise for its existence. Large groups such as Rotary, Lions, Knights of Columbus, American Legion, etc., ad infinitum, come to mind.

Woodturning is much broader in its applications. I've been a member of AAW for only a few years, and I have a long way to go. Those who have voted with their feet, probably concluded that they've exhausted their capabilities of giving and receiving tips, or found other more enticing interests. Nowadays, there are too many such enticements available.

The photo quality requirements for AAW articles are a stumbling block for me, particularly for in-process photos. In the linked articles, the $298 photo setup cost more than my first two lathes combined. I suppose I could take high-quality photos at less cost, but the photography would have to dominate the process, with the turning itself subordinate. And, I've already plowed the photographic ground in industrial cinematography, now abandoned. It seems to me, that lower-quality photos might be acceptable for in-process photos and a teaser for the final work, with later high-quality photos of the final, as cover candidates upon request.

Occasionally, the Journal fails to light my fire; usually because of other commitments. But I almost always find some inspiration.

Joe

First off let me state that I have no answers for any of the problems I see here in my club dealing with the AAW. I am approaching the half way mark of the fourth year as President of the Presque Isle Woodturners in Erie, PA. We have lost more members of the AAW than we have gained. The standard response as to why they drop their membership to the AAW is that they are not getting anything for their $45. Those four magazines means nothing to them except they feel they are paying $11+ a magazine. Yes I know and have heard all the standard reasons why they should be AAW members. The Resource Directory means nothing to a member who wants nothing to do with the every day operation of the club, a valuable tool for me but of no value to that person who knows that if he is not a AAW member he cannot be an officer of the club.
Unfortunately we were very open in applying for grants from the AAW and when that didn't happen it was just more reasons for not being a member of the AAW for these folks, a mistake that I won't make again. As far as the content of the AAW Magazine what is in it for these people that they cannot find in our library of hundreds of DVDs and tapes and hundreds and hundreds of books and magazines. We are getting to the point where there may not be enough AAW members to fill the slots to run the club. When you have seven slots to fill and only seven AAW members that gives no one a break from a position they hold.
If a club member does not want to spend $45 for an AAW membership why would one think that they would go to a Symposium that will cost them that $45 plus another $800 to $1000+ to go. I wish there were some easy answers and in this current economy it seems that it will be that much more difficult just to keep club members not even considering AAW membership. We push AAW membership at every meeting and with every newsletter but it does not help much. I do not know what other clubs face but this is what I see here.
Bill

Website
www.davidlauffenburger.com
Concur

I have to concur with Mike, there have been quite a few times that i have eagerly awaited my issue but after finally flipping through it did not find anything that interest me.

I know there have been several heated discussions on what constitutes turning so i do not want to lite that fire again but, IMO page after page of photos of items that have less than 10% turning involved seems out of place.

One thing that seems pretty obvious, at least to me. So far every response has been from people that are passionate about their woodturning.

As a former officer of our Chapter, I have noodled on the difficulty of getting more chapter members to join the AAW ad nauseam, and have only more questions than answers. The most common of the questions is "what's in it for me." I can only speak for myself. If that meeting back in the '80s, at Arrowmont, had not happened I am convinced we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Because the large majority of AAW/chapter members would not even be aware of wood turning, much less be involved in it. Without the AAW who would have tooted the turning horn to get the attention of machinery manufactuers, tool makers, and publishers. Our toy catalogs I need not list them would be shadows of what they are now or never have existed. Where would all those folks that belong to local AAW Clubs but swear thay don't need the AAW get their information, etc,etc.

I'm going to put this thread behind me with one last thought:
It is sometimes far more important to concentrate on the "Big Picture" rather than spending too much time on "Self-portraits." ;)

Website
mike,

I am of the opinion that most beginners move to intermediate within 6 months and those that take a quality class make the move in a few weeks.

So a beginner gets 2 Journals in 6 months as a beginner and 2 more while an intermediate.

I do feel the AAW should do more for beginners. I think the answer is not in the Journal but in some welcome a board package.
One place to start would be the free back articles in the members only section. Those already available could be packaged as "new member/new turner projects. Additional project/techniques/tools that would be suitable for beginners could be added.

The fact is most things can be turned at any level,
intermediates often learn from both beginner articles and from advanced Articles. The true beginner article needs photos that explain the bevel and how to present the tool to the wood.

A great beginner project is a gavel.
It is a great project for a kids class
It is also something I've done on commission for special presentations for Elks etc.

happy turning,
AL

Hi Al,
First let me say that I admire your work, value your opinions and appreciate what you've done for AAW.

I think that your idea "New member/New Turner" packet is great and would like to see that, among others things become reality.

I don't agree that most beginners move to intermediate in 6 months and those that have obtained quality instruction do so in a few few weeks.

I would say that for a few that's true, but many take a good while to evolve. A good friend and well known turning instructor once told me, "It takes several years just to become a lousy turner". Now of course he's exaggerating (or maybe he meant me:eek:) but for most it does takes time. A new turner will understand the basics of tool use and hopefully sharpening in a few months but it's a continuing process of the little light going off and understanding how and why tools perform as they do and applying that knowledge, Then there's shape, recognizing that pleasing curve, flat spots, etc.

I agree that everyone can learn from all TURNING articles regardless of which skill level they are aimed at, but the beginner and early intermediates need articles directed specifically at them.......tips, techniques and skill development that many of us take for granted and sometime forget how difficult it can be for a newbie.

Bill Blasic says that many members don't feel that membership is worth $45 and view the journal as nothing more than an $11 magazine.........This is another of the reasons to insure that every issue is appealing to as many members as possible. All things to all members? Of course not, but there should be an effort in that direction.

Jake Debski wrote: It is sometimes far more important to concentrate on the "Big Picture" rather than spending too much time on "Self-portraits." In my opinion what's important is for the AAW as well as it's journal to have balance and inclusion.......that's the big picture.

Mike

Last edited:
Speaking of balance and inclusion, there are 42 past AW Journal articles available for free downloading through the online members only area. All you have to do is log on and then click on the "AW Journal Past Issue Database" button. Articles can be searched by date, author, alphabetically or by key-word.

It's my understanding that these articles were selected, at least in part to address your concern, Mike - providing a foundation of past AW resources aimed at the novice, beginner and new AAW member, supplementing current AW Journal content.

There is also a complete listing of all past AW Journal articles, going all the way back to 1986 located here. This list is updated about every six months. I’ve often used this list to find an article I’m interested in, and then go to my local chapter’s lending library to borrow the issue.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Mike,

We may have a definition problem.

I define
intermediate: a person who can turn a bowl with a gouge unassisted start to finish without getting a catch. They have mastered basic tool control and get decent surfaces.
Intermediates are working on form, curves, and design.

I've taught lots of beginners. Some students never get a catch in my basic class and catches are rare events after the halfway point. There are 5% that I am unable to reach.

An intermediate could use the John Jordan article to attempt a hollow form.
But a hands on class or a good video would be a better learning experience than any written article.

Bill and Jake have excellent points. I'm coming to the conclusion the AAW is not for everyone who owns a lathe.
What I'm seeing in some local clubs are folks who are happy being beginners and don't have any desire to improve. They are having fun making stuff that is fine. The AAW is about education, learning, and sharing.

-Al

Last edited:
Website
Al,
I pretty much agree with your description of an intermediate. I think that it takes most longer to arrive there, partly because most don't get quality instruction and those that do, unless they stand at the lathe will forget some of what they've learned as well as simply not build those skills.

I also agree that AAW is not for everyone who owns a lathe.

But, all who are members should be served equally and our bylaws (Article III a) describe each "type" of member that it (AAW) will benefit. Regardless of how we describe the skills within a certain "level" the AAW in various ways, including through its journal is supposed to serve each type. I would simply like to see it do so as evenly as possible. I don't believe the most recent issue of the Journal came anywhere near that. My earlier post states my feelings.

I'd also add, someone said to me that the journal must serve gallery owners and art collectors. How? I'd be happy to see the journal do so by simply following the bylaw:

with others interested in fine woodturning; and also, to help promote public interest in collecting fine lathe-turned objects by museums and by other permanent, visible collections.
For galleries and other dealers in lathe-turned objects, both a vehicle for notifying turners and the interested public in shows or seminars featuring such works, and an outlet for articles, critiques or discussions on topics of interest to woodturners.

I suppose one could stretch the latter portion of that last sentence to explain some of the content. But, I suggest most woodturners weren't/aren't interested in some of the writing........"Twirling" comes to mind.

Thanks Al , I agree with some of what you've said, disagree with some and certainly respect your opinion........

For others who have pointed out....Yes, I read Betty's letter in the journal and yes I understand one cannot judge a "magazine" based upon one issue. I'm not attacking anyone nor any "group" of our members, I'd just like to see balance as well as writing which is relative to woodturning.

Off to the shop
Mike

Last edited:
Website
www.ispinwood.com
Revelation

This thread has been a very interesting read. Everyone makes clear and valid points about the situation but I’d like to add one more. I believe that the entire picture presented is simply a microcosm of America as a whole at this point in our history. And while the AAW is an international organization, it seems to strongly mirror America. I feel I now live in a country of bystanders. Wonderful opportunity exists here but a minority of people are willing to put in the work which makes opportunity become prosperity. And the definition of prosperity and reward has been skewed by corporate America and commercialism. I believe that America’s current economic and social situation is a direct result of this misbelief. Misunderstanding and misbelief lead to anger, war, and social collapse. Those who put in the work to make the AAW or a local chapter happen are the only ones who truly understand the value gained from participation. You can not make someone else know this. One can only set his/her own example which is then available for family, friends, and others to witness. Participation can happen on many levels. All are necessary for success in an organization, or a society. One will transmutes to the other following whichever example is the most prevalent.

To present I believe that the AAW has set a good example and has thrown open its’ doors to allow anyone to participate and find success. They have wisely and carefully used the growing resources to expand the opportunities for growth and education on woodturning. It’s up to the individual to make of it what he/she wants. There are many other good organizations doing the same. It doesn’t have to be woodturning. There are thousands upon thousands of avenues available and offering opportunity for growth and prosperity. Unfortunately we are overshadowed by the negative examples blatantly broadcast to our fellow citizens. While these examples may be the minority situation, they are the most widely available images distracting the multitude. Correcting this starts with revelation on an individual level. Do your work sharing your joy and love of woodturning and you’ll prosper. Maybe the next time you share a copy of the journal, another individual will have a revelation!

- Scott

Back