• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Julie Suchomel

Howdy!

I'm new to woodturning, and to woodworking in general. My hubby was an electrician by trade but enjoyed woodworking. After he died of cancer three years ago at the age of 56, the shop just sat empty, collecting dust. I finally decided to take inventory, clean things up and rearrange to my liking. Before he got sick, our next purchase was going to be a lathe. After much research, I bought a Jet 1221VS in January. I've mostly made sawdust, but have managed a couple of small bowls.

My day job is in the FinTech industry, but my leisure time is spent with the fiber arts, spinning, weaving, knitting, etc. My goal is to produce some of the tools used in these activities.

I've attended an AAW club meeting in Milwaukee (much easier to get to than Schaumburg) and plan on joining next month. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a mentor as well.

Julie, sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. Welcome to woodturning. I second the motion for joining a club. Good move!

Welcome!
Many knowledgeable folks here— will will answer questions.
Great that you picked up where yall left off.

Back