• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kathy Ferrell

Having been into carpentry for years I though it was about time I got into turning. Have a lathe and tools and so far have turned a pretty round log. :rolleyes: I joined this forum for advice as I am in Fairbanks, Alaska and there is no club here in this town. Nearest one is Anchorage 350 miles away. Thought I would just turn things and get used to what each tool is for. Good way to start? Also have a grinder but not sure which wheels are on it yet. Ordered a couple DVD's on turning but they haven't gotten here yet.

Kathy, I too have done much woodworking and finally got my new lathe about two months ago. I bought the Delta 460 and really like it, but just like my first motorcycle, two weeks later I wanted a bigger one. I saw one of John's videos and then did a search on you tube for his name and watched all of them repeatedly. Thanks John, really helpful info.
In two months I have made ten canes, eight Christmas ornaments, a ten inch maple and walnut platter for my wife, and a pepper mill. I am waiting for my tree guy to bring me some green wood, can't wait to make some bowls. I also made a sled for my table saw to cut pieces for segmented bowls and a steady rest, (hope my wife isn't looking for her roller blade wheels).
I am at the opposite end of the country in Homosassa, Florida and if I can get away from my lathe long enough, I will be looking for a local club.
Thanks to all on this site for your inspiration and information. I ordered a DVD called "Spiralling Into Control", check it out on you tube. I keep checking the mail box, not enough hours in the day.

Free, but explains two extremely important concepts - downhill and downgrain - better than most places. http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html

Not much to sharpening that you haven't already done if you woodwork. Take off as little metal as possible to regularize a ragged edge. Best piece of advice. Don't start taking lots of metal off and recontouring, especially with a tool you already know how to use. Or one you're not sure you know. You don't need to be as fussy and make fragile edges as you do with the carving tools. The lathe will do the heavy work. Just learn to use the tool so it slices rather than chops.

Fairbanks. I froze there one winter at arctic survival. Made Minot seem tropical.

Kathy,
Welcome, I would just like to invite you to visit our local chapters in Seattle, WA if you happen to travel through here some time. I know many from AK do visit Seattle quite often so it may be useful to know our meeting times.

Seattle Chapter meets on the 2nd Thursday of every month from 7-9. They will have a new meeting place as of January so check the web site for addresses.
http://seattlewoodturners.org/

Tacoma/South Puget Sound chapter meets every 3rd Thursday from 7-9, I am the membership director at this chapter so please look me up if you visit.
http://www.spswoodturners.org/

Either of these chapters are about 30 min away from the SeaTac airport and im sure we could arrange a ride if you wanted to attend as you pass through.

I would also encourage you to sign up for local club newsletters on their websites. Most newsletters will have some tips and other useful articles in them.

Hope this helps,
Jarred

Back