• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

KC Kendall

A friend at work was a turner and brought beautiful hollow forms to display on his desk. After retirement in 2006, I asked to visit his shop and get an idea of what this woodturning thing was all about. That sank the "hook", and I've been turning for 11 years as a member of the Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild and the AAW.

Bowls, platters, natural edge forms and salt & pepper grinders are what I do most. I'm trying to do more embellishment, having started with pyrography, and now beginning to work with carving and ways of adding color to my turnings. Classes with professional turners have helped me build skills and I owe much to Jimmy Clewes, Ray Key, Ernie Conover, Alan Lacer, Chris Ramsey, as well as many skilled mentors and turners in the OVWG. I'm looking forward to a class with Dixie Biggs at John C. Campbell this coming fall.

The OVWG is a great group (over 300 members!) to be part of. I've been secretary, president, coordinator of our full time studio (called the Learning Center), co-chair of our bi-ennial symposium (2017 & 2019), and am now involved with new member development. I also have the privilege of working with Linda Ferber and others on an AAW membership development committee.

Woodturners are great people - they love to talk about their passion, share their methods and ideas, share wood and tools, and generally have fun together. I'm glad I stumbled in to such a great hobby.

Back