• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Keep Turning Newbies

I thought I would post this as encouragement to my fellow newbie turners. I have been looking at the same piece of partially turned wood for the last two weeks. I have been perplexed by the tear out of one side of the end grain as well as the incredible length of time this darn thing took to lose it's moisture. I was also baffled (only because I hadn't seen it before) by the lack of "clean" cuts I could get when turning it. I decided to let it sit and I would stare at it, almost thinking I could talk it into submission, and tonight, I decided it was he or I. Well, again, I am a newbie but I want to say, I won. I sharpened my tools, took great care as to how I approached each turn, considered the speed of the lathe, and this is the end result. Now, before you professionals point out the flaws (which there are many), my point is that for all of us newbies, sometimes we need to step away, grab another piece of wood, and let the tough piece of wood simmer a bit. I think I have read on here that the wood would reveal itself in the end.

20140416_005046.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Good morning Scott.....

The interior of this vessel isn't easy to do. Think positive and keep going.......you're doing ok......doing better, and best, only comes with time and practice. If you practice on difficult shapes, it'll bring skills faster.......:)

ooc

Very nice Scott. That hollow form looks line it was a good skill builder. You are right to keep turning. We can watch all the YouTube videos we want but until we put edge to wood we won't "feel" it.

Tim Passmore

I am certainly a "newbie"-----I've only been turning for about 5 months, but I'm addicted! I've been a casual woodworker for 40 years, but turning is so rewarding. Practice hasn't made me perfect, but certainly has improved my skills---I've turned about 50 bowls since Thanksgiving! I feel like I've learned so much from this site.

Last edited:
Back