• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kelton mcnaughton center saver for sale?

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a center saver sense spring and everyone's out of stock it keeps getting pushed back and keltons site itself is down, have they simply stopped?

I hear a lot of people struggle with them, as in it's and effective but finicky system

I will check the forum assuming I have permission to post

As I like to say about the McNaughton system, every one who has tried to use it swears at it. Every one who knows how to use it swears by it. There is a learning curve. As a bowl turner, I find I am better with it than I am with a skew....

robo hippy

I could see that, I'll catch on quick I think if I can get my hands on one I make enough home made janky tools I think it will be easy enough

They do say there's a steep learning curve, but that comes with being the most flexible system for sizes and shapes, took me 1 try to figure out podlets and 3 foot podlets I suspect it won't take more than a week to figure this out, I do think found one on facebook

I've got a Standard kit i'll be listing in the next week or so to fund another purchase--might even take some pictures today and get that done. Haven't used it since i bought it used 2 years ago...haven't turned anything big enough!!
earl

With the McNaughton, I can remove a core in about the time it takes to set up the other 2 systems. One interesting comment from Mike Mahoney at the Oregon Woodturning Symposium this spring, he uses the medium curve blade for 90% of his cores. Me too. I need to do another video on the McNaughton. I have learned a few things since I did the original one. Also, the biggest problem with the McNaughton, as far as I am concerned, is that the bends on the blades are off. The curve of the blade is fine up until the last inch or two of the blade and it goes more in a straight line. Kel insists this is not the case, but lay it on a circle template, and it is obvious. It was obvious to me just looking at it. Best bet is that they bend the blades after shaping and profiling. Anyone who bends knows that you can not get enough pressure on the tip to make it follow the curve, and if you want a perfect curve, you bend the piece long, then snip off the last inch or 3. What this does when coring, is that it makes the blade drift to the outside of the cut. With a small and/or shallow core, not much of a problem. With a deep core, lots of issues. Heating it with a torch and 'perfecting' the arc would be necessary. This could cause issues for the laminated hard metal that makes the cutting edge....

robo hippy

I have the system and frankly i don't find it that tough to use. I recall watching Mike Mahoney, Bill Grumbine and lately Robo Hippy's videos and they were a tremendous help (especially the last one).
I find the biggest 'aha' came from raising the post so the blade was ABOVE center when it got to the middle.
I'd say a strong 1/4", possibly even 1/2". I know this doesn't make sense but I believe the forces on the blade push it down/bend it so it's closer to center when cutting. Thanks to Robo for that hint

I have the system and frankly i don't find it that tough to use. I recall watching Mike Mahoney, Bill Grumbine and lately Robo Hippy's videos and they were a tremendous help (especially the last one).
I find the biggest 'aha' came from raising the post so the blade was ABOVE center when it got to the middle.
I'd say a strong 1/4", possibly even 1/2". I know this doesn't make sense but I believe the forces on the blade push it down/bend it so it's closer to center when cutting. Thanks to Robo for that hint
I agree with Edward. I go one at a tool swap and found it easier to use than the one way. The cutting head stays sharp too.

Well, maybe I didn't make the post.... Forgetful, more than normal..... Anyway, a common problem many have, when making cores is that they tend to core parallel to the outside of the bowl. This will get you down to the bottom and then you go through the bottom right about where your chuck jaws are. My chucks do have a couple of notches from the McNaughton..... I did see one video on You Tube where the turner put lines on the outsides of his blank where he wanted his depth to come out. That did seem like a good idea to me.

Oh, I didn't forget, found it over in the main thread forum.....

robo hippy

Back