• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kevin Jesequel

Hi, my name is Kevin and I haven't turned anything in 5 days and I think I am going through withdrawl...oh wait, wrong forum! I live in Portland, Oregon and my turning adventure began just three months ago. I was outfitting my garage turned shop with some woodworking tools and decided for a yet unknown reason to type "lathe" into the search bar of my offer up app. Up popped a just listed Excelsior mini lathe with a set of Sorby spindle tools, some pen kits and a bunch of little accessories. For $150, I couldnt pass it up! I brought it home and put it on the shelf until I finished building my workbench / now lathe stand. I finally got it all set up about a month later. First I turned a couple of "magic" wands for my Harry Potter fan kids. Then, a bowl our of an old chunk of maple that I've had forever (made a lot of mistakes on that one!) Then, I acquired a pile of wood from a fellow on the Oregon Coast and turned another bowl out of that. Then, a lidded box. Then another bowl...and holy smokes, I read that it is a slippery slope, but I've tumbled over a cliff! Two months of turning under my belt and I've already passed the Excelsior on to my father in law and stepped up to a Nova 16-24 and I can't stop looking for the next one! Honestly though, I am happy with the Nova. I seems like it will last me as long as I want it to. Besides, the eventual upgrade to a 3520, AB, or Oneway will be more justifiable than if I had just purchased a $2700 lathe :) i have been re-aranging my shop since Saturday to make it more turning friendly and am just about ready to start making shavings again. Here's a pic of it currently (notice the flat-wood tools all shoved into the corner):20200909_203350.jpgI am an electrician by trade, but have been working in more of an office role for the past year, so I think part of my attraction to turning is being back to working with my hands. I have been reading loads on this forum and also just joined the NW Woodturners and have been learning a ton from their site as well. I look forward to being a part of the community surrounding this affliction moving forward and hope to someday contribute more than prose. Here's some pics of my progress so far:
20200909_204503.jpg 20200909_204353.jpg 20200909_204408.jpg
20200909_204526.jpg 20200909_204547.jpg 20200909_204618.jpg 20200909_204643.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,
Welcome! From your photos it looks like you are off to an awesome start. I think you will continue to find the forums excellent help for those questions that you don't even know that you have yet. I know it has been very helpful to me.

I have spend many a day in Portland over the years. It is a terrific City. I miss it.

Thank you, John!

And, thank you, Don! You living in Treasure Island and missing Portland is only fitting since I spent a chunk of my childhood in Bradenton and my wife lived in Tampa/St. Pete for a number of years. We were planning on flying out there for a visit last spring, but COVID-19 put the brakes on that. Hopefully next year.

Welcome aboard glad to see another nova 1624 user I pick my 1624 up tomorrow after spending a year turning on a mini lathe with a 10 inch swing area like you my flatwork tools have been either sold or shoved to one side.

Thanks Ross! It looks like you're going to put the new lathe to good use with that massive log you just brought home. I love your apple vase. Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks Ross! It looks like you're going to put the new lathe to good use with that massive log you just brought home. I love your apple vase. Absolutely beautiful!
Thanks for the compliment on the apple wood vase Kevin it is one of my favourite pieces as I love the look of spalted wood, the new lathe will get alot of use along with a few dirty words whille assembling it. That log was the first time I had to use a truck to bring home wood for turning I mainly get wood that I can fit in the back of my car but the look on my wifes face today was priceless, time to get a gas powered chainsaw I think.

Welcome to the forum.

Once the Covid becomes rarer in the population you might get involved with the local clubs and attend some of Dale Larsons open shop sessions.

stay safe from the virus and the fires.
Thank you! I am definitely looking forward to getting involved. It's smoky where I live and I can feel it in my chest, but the fires are still a good distance from us.20200911_170935.jpg

Back