• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Keyless live chuck for tailstock

I know harrison specialities has a keyed kit they sell, I was wondering if there is a keyless live chuck out there that I haven't found yet? Or maybe you can't get enough grip with a keyless.. I'm clueless /newbie.
I've been mixing and matching figuring out a vacuum chuck system.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
your Looking for a Jacobs chuck that spins.

this is a great keyless chuck but It’s for drilling not spinning
I bought a harvest keyless drill chuck at a symposium trade show maybe 2007.
never Had a drill bit spin in it. it locks down a bit when I start drilling. so far I’ve always been able to open it by hand.
mine is on a #3 MT for the ONEWAY.

it has been great.

Attachments

• 57920593-3FC9-4184-B90E-0F880698B8E5.jpeg
    57920593-3FC9-4184-B90E-0F880698B8E5.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 7
  • B71C0106-8743-41D8-8D1F-BD3A55D94F49.jpeg
    B71C0106-8743-41D8-8D1F-BD3A55D94F49.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You wouldn't be able to drill with it because it spins. It looks like a drill chuck though. I just saw a video of the kit they sell with the "live" one and wondered if there is a keyless variety out there like it because I don't like keeping the keys around.

In the video he demonstrates the live version and it looks like it has some uses but like I said I'm clueless and just researching to put together a vacuum system.

Theirs might just be a regular chuck that screws onto a live center mount of some kind too. I don't know.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You wouldn't be able to drill with it because it spins. It looks like a drill chuck though. I just saw a video of the kit they sell with the "live" one and wondered if there is a keyless variety out there like it because I don't like keeping the keys around.

In the video he demonstrates the live version and it looks like it has some uses but like I said I'm clueless and just researching to put together a vacuum system.

Theirs might just be a regular chuck that screws onto a live center mount of some kind too. I don't know.

the threaded live centers are probably a better choice than the spinning jacobs chuck.
live centers by Robust, ONEWAY, and powermatic have a threaded cup.
they will all accept a variety of after market pins. lathe spindle threaded adapters plus anything you can make.

I make a bunch of stuff and drill a hole and press it on with a turn of masking tape over the threads.

Last edited:
Back