• October Turning Challenge Winner!

Congratulations to Don Wattenhofer for his segmented mallet being voted as the winner of the October Challenge to turn a mallet! CLICK HERE to see the voting results.

• Vote for your favorite entry in the November Turning Challenge -- Turn a Snow Person.

Cast your vote HERE.
  • Turning of the Week -- November 29, 2021

Congratulations to Dave Landers for "Wormy Ash Hollowform with Pewas" being selected as this weeks TOTW! CLICK HERE for full details.

• Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna vs Jet

I the market for a new lathe and narrowed my choices to the Laguna 18/36 or the Jet 18/40. Originally I was leaning towards the Laguna machine until I read about customer service issues - anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

thanks
Bill

You know from the past when I was starting turning a friend bought a Laguna and it truly was a POS. At a symposium where the owner of Laguna was in attendance he was presented a video of this lathe with a group of us watching and he chose at that time to do nothing. After months and months they finally relented and gave him back his money. Now since then they say they are a better company but I see every few months someone has a problem with their equipment and the Laguna response is again laughable. If a leopard's spots don't change it is still a leopard. Go with Jet and the 5 year warranty.

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
haven’t turned on that Laguna.
have turned on the Jet 1840
it’s a sweet machine. Does everything I want a lathe to do.

jet/powermatic has it priced $2200 less than the powermatic Most folks would be just as happy with the jet.
be able to use the savings on a classes and be much much happier turning,
both nice machines but jet will do everything most powermatic owners turn just as well.
the powermatic has the edge on big work but folks serious about big work will want something bigger like a ONEWAY.

I have the 18/36's smaller sibling, the 12/16, and I love it. I haven't had any of the problems others have mentioned. I've owned the lathe for two years now. I don't use it everyday, I'm a weekend turner, and maybe that's why I don't have the problems others have. With that said if I had the money and was looking for a new lathe I'd go with the Jet.
The Laguna and Jet are really in two different categories/sizes of lathes. The Laguna is shorter, has less power and is cheaper than the Jet. The Laguna is also 110 volts compare to the Jet's 220 v. The Laguna has a 2 year warranty, the Jet a 5 year. The Jet has a right side emergency button. The Laguna doesn't. I hate reaching over the lathe to shut it off. I dislike it so much that I installed a kill switch at knee height on my laguna, makes it real easy to shut down lathe fast. If you need something longer or want more hp and can afford it go with the Jet.

I the market for a new lathe and narrowed my choices to the Laguna 18/36 or the Jet 18/40. Originally I was leaning towards the Laguna machine until I read about customer service issues - anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

thanks
Bill
I had jet for 15 years. 14/48. Upgraded to the Laguna 18 /36 with bed extension. Love it. Have had no problems.

Any motor, 1 hp and above, should be run on 220 for optimal performance. I am not an electrician, but when setting up my shop almost 30 years ago, every single book I read agreed on this. As for these 2 lathes, I prefer the headstock design of the Jet to the Laguna. Other point for me is the mobility kits. Who ever designed the one for the Laguna, obviously never turned off the end of a sliding headstock lathe, and for me, that is a must for turning bowls.

robo hippy

As for these 2 lathes, I prefer the headstock design of the Jet to the Laguna. Other point for me is the mobility kits. Who ever designed the one for the Laguna, obviously never turned off the end of a sliding headstock lathe, and for me, that is a must for turning bowls.

robo hippy
The laguna kit for outboard turning is sold separately. It's ok.

Speaking of Laguna and Jet, has anyone else noticed that there hasn't been a "fifteen percent off sale" in a while, now? Those used to be pretty regular Thanksgiving and Spring events.

Have a Laguna 18/36 220 volt and love it! A bit more money but a solid machine. Shopped for nearly 6 months and finally decided on the Laguna over all other brands. Like buying a car there are lemons out there.