• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Larry Mercier

I've been turning for approx. 20 yrs. I have a Vicmarc 300 lathe. I primarily turn bowls, platters, Christmas ornaments, and pens. I've learned a lot through club membership and youtube videos. I have a whole lot of things to learn yet.

I am a retired high school teacher who was introduced to the lathe shortly after retirement. Since I bought my first lathe, I have turned pens/pencils, Christmas ornaments including: birdhouses, bells, and gnomes, and bowls both large and small. My latest focus is turning hollow forms using Trent Bosch tools. I fully enjoy turning and gifting my finished pieces, if my wife, who is my biggest fan, allows them to be given others. Although I have gone to several symposia, taken hands on classes taught by Jimmy Clewes and Alan Lacer, and watched many You Tube demo's, I have so much to learn. But I look at my need to learn more as a positive inspiration.

Combining my wife's appreciation of my projects with my need to learn more, I think turning is a great hobby that will never grow stagnant. Enough about me, let's talk shop.

Howdy and welcome from Texas! Pictures please.

I would love to see some of your work.

Larry,
A really good wife-o-meter is a great tool
Many that go off the deep-end on hollow-forms get obsessed with the concept of "fair-curve" - a good way to fine-tune your fair-curves, and thus your hollow-forms, is to also do weed-pots.
As an exercise, do three weed-pots, each maybe 8" tall and varying in diameter. Put them on a small table across from where you do your best thinking. Over time, you'll be critiquing / fine-tuning your work.
Knowing that you "nailed it" and the meter confirming is a great feeling.
Here is a little demo I did a few years back that might shed some light on what I'm talking about. Kinda boring but it does have a few moments.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_BP9vI5BAQ

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum

latest focus is turning hollow forms using Trent Bosch tools.

I believe the most important feature of a hollow form is the outside shape.
The even wall thickness lets it dry without cracking.
Turning a few spherical hollow forms can help you get better curves.
The sphere is a known curve. You get it or you don’t and YOU know.
Do 5 or 6 and you most likely get it every time ever after..

classes taught by Jimmy Clewes and Alan Lacer

Jimmy and Alan are great teachers. Trent does classes in Fort Collins, CO.
Jimmy sometimes teaches a spherical footless bowl with gouges. It teaches a whole lot about bevel angles and hollowing.

John, thanks for your suggestion. I just finished your weed/twig pot demo. It was interesting. After I complete my current project, I'll start turning pots to critique.
I want to turn a long handle to enable me to use hollowing tools at the end of my lathe. Because my hands are large, I enjoy larger diameter handles so my fingers don't dig into my palm. I'm interested to learn how your handle tightens down on the gouge. Did you drill a 3/4" hole for a 3/4" gauge? Finally, how deep is the hole?

Back