• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hello all,

I typically don't lurk so long before joining a forum but have been checking out and enjoying this forum for several years now.

As an introduction, I am a retired active duty Coast Guard/Navy Chief Warrant Officer (4 years Navy & 29 years CG) who is still employed by the Coast Guard in a civilian capacity in Houston, TX. I retired in 2008 in D.C. to take a CG civilian job there. In 2012, I was offered a CG job in Houston (had been stationed here from 1996-2000 while still active) and, with a CG active duty son and grandson here (two grandsons now), my wife was NOT going to let me turn it down.

Initially, we lived in the suburbs but after some starts-and-stops with buying and selling undeveloped acreage, we ended up finding a home on 7.5 acres in Alvin, TX (home of Nolan Ryan). About 5 acres is currently mowed and it truly looks like a park setting with Live Oaks, Water Oaks and Pecans (plus too damn many Chinese Tallows and Hackberry). The rest is thick woods/brush bordering the property. My wife and I never thought we would want to mow 5 acres of grass but it is so nice looking we have kept it that way. PRO TIP: Bought my wife a Kubota Zero Turn mower and a set of Bose sound cancelling headphones for her iPhone and she "happily" mows all of it while I am at work!

The property already had a 20 year old 30x50 steel building on it that I am currently converting to a wood shop. I just recently had 400 amp metered service ran to the building and I am in the process of putting up 3/4" tongue and groove walls, running electrical for lighting and outlets, etc. I also decided that if I wanted to enjoy my shop during the hot, humid Houston summers I would need A/C and just had that installed this week. I am doing all of the work myself with the exception of the service wiring to the building and the A/C.

I have woodworked all my life but have never owned a lathe. I have turned on other folk's lathes and have really enjoyed it but had never gotten around to buying one until now. I went all in and just received my Robust American Beauty. The primary reason that I jumped in with both feet on the lathe is because, first, I wanted to buy my "last lathe first" and, second, my son is a very good wood worker and has turned for many years. This is a future Christmas present for him...hopefully not for several decades though! He has one tour left before he can retire from the Coast Guard and we hope to start a small business which is what actually triggered all of the work on the building and the purchase/upgrade of my woodworking equipment.

Other interests include craft beer (was a home brewer for 20 years), riding bicycles, and building bike wheels. I look forward to learning all I can from the folks on this forum and, hopefully, one day I will have advanced enough in this craft to help others. Thanks all!

Larry sounds like a nice setup for your residence and shop, putting a 400A electrical service in a shop they most likely have you on a watch list now. Always good to have a large enough electrical service with plenty of space for breakers when you are installing numerous power equipment in a shop. Most people skimp on the electrical service and run out of breaker space and end up installing sub-panels later on. Were you able to get 3-phase 480V power? Plenty of good deals on used commercial equipment the operating voltage is usually the issue.

Larry sounds like a nice setup for your residence and shop, putting a 400A electrical service in a shop they most likely have you on a watch list now. Always good to have a large enough electrical service with plenty of space for breakers when you are installing numerous power equipment in a shop. Most people skimp on the electrical service and run out of breaker space and end up installing sub-panels later on. Were you able to get 3-phase 480V power? Plenty of good deals on used commercial equipment the operating voltage is usually the issue.

Hi Mike. I wasn't able to get 3-phase but I did purchase a Phase Perfect converter that outputs 240V 3-phase for my 3-phase sliding table saw, jointer/planer and bandsaw. It is a 30 HP unit so, being a one-man shop (two when my son is over), I will not have to worry about my power needs. Our local power company gives a 3K credit for power upgrades so that helped considerably in funding this and also in making my decision to go with 400 amp.

Larry you are going to be the envy of every turner here. Welcome aboard. I have about 20 foot of one wall covered in turning blanks and that shop you are doing sure sound like a winner.

Thanks Gerald. It took me a long time to pull the trigger on the Robust and, looking back, it is interesting the different lathes I considered and how the price kept going up on each one that made it onto my radar. My wife said "Happy Birthday...forever!" I have a couple of woodturning buddies who are already vying to be the first to turn on my new lathe (after me of course).

I am very happy to finally have a big shop. It took moving out of the suburbs and out into the country where we could get acreage, a house and a steel building for a little less than the house we sold in the 'burbs...should have done it along time ago!

Welcome aboard, Larry. I agree with Gerald that we all are envious of your cavernous shop.

I know that you will enjoy your Robust AB. I have enjoyed mine since 2011. Here I am in my "studio", AKA "the driveway".

Thanks Bill. I have had to do a lot of work in my life out in my driveway studio. One thing I haven't done in the driveway though is turn which actually sounds pretty cool on a nice day!

Welcome,
Nice shop.
Thank you for your service.

I worked for DoD as a civilian for 30 years.
most people don’t realize civilians make up 40% of the DoD workforce.

Thanks for the welcome and the comment on service! The Coast Guard has a pretty decent sized civilian workforce as well. I am the chief of the U.S. vessel inspection shop here in Houston and I have the pleasure of working with and supervising both active duty and civilian personnel. We have a pretty good mix here in Houston and I feel very fortunate to be able to do what I do! That said, I would love to be able to spend more time in my shop and less time working...I need to get my shop built out and paid for before I can begin considering final retirement.

Welcome from a little ways west of ya--Cuero area!
I too have a Robust AB and love it! I took the long way to get to it---went through about 8 or 8 lathes in the process---the old story, upgraded each time.
Last time I was in your area was to buy a bigger Stihl chainsaw--that I use to process my wood. I collect all the local varieties, Mesquite being my fave.

Welcome from a little ways west of ya--Cuero area!
I too have a Robust AB and love it! I took the long way to get to it---went through about 8 or 8 lathes in the process---the old story, upgraded each time.
Last time I was in your area was to buy a bigger Stihl chainsaw--that I use to process my wood. I collect all the local varieties, Mesquite being my fave.

Hi David...been away from the forum for several weeks. I have been through the upgrade process too many times in my life...this time I gave myself a huge gift and bought my 2nd (or 8th ;) ) lathe first. Where did you buy your Stihl at?

I bought my 20 inch at my local dealer--longtime friend. My big Stihl I found on CL--was an older fella in Alvin whose son had done a tree clearing biz after one of the swirly storms & got tired of it. Had been looking for a saw with longer bar, couldn't pass it up,

Back