• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laser pointers

Would those of you who have incorporated a laser pointer into a homemade jig or device please recommend a size/style/brand and source for them? How much, ballpark, do they cost?

Thanks.

1629577840589.pngI use one like this (from eBay, under $5) for a bowl depth indicator. Great when you’re making a natural or irregularly edged bowl where a simple across-the-rim depth gauge isn’t practical. I’m not near the shop, but I’ll take a photo later.
Aw, hell. I needed an excuse to go out to the shop. Here it is. The laser is aligned with the end of the metal rod which is at center of the spindle height. When you touch the rod to the inside bottom of the bowl, the laser dot will show you how deep you are on the outside of the bowl. Not an original idea. I think I may have gotten it from an older American Woodturner magazine tip.
6A9BF075-FF95-4CD1-B93E-4A6BB2CE7C51.jpeg

Last edited:

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
The ones that use AAA batteries last a lot longer than the ones that use the little button batteries. Probably 20 of them around the house for amusing the cats. Either Amazon or Ebay, typically under $5-10. What seems to fail on them is the switch. I have found no way to tell the brands apart, all made in China.

Thanks for the reminder as the batteries in the laser from Bill Grumbine's bowl bottom measuring device have been in the laser for at least 10 years. They were probably ready to start leaking. Good to go now, new AAAs added.

Attachments

• Grumbine Laser.jpg
    Grumbine Laser.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 33
Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
View attachment 40068I use one like this (from eBay, under $5) for a bowl depth indicator. Great when you’re making a natural or irregularly edged bowl where a simple across-the-rim depth gauge isn’t practical. I’m not near the shop, but I’ll take a photo later.
Aw, hell. I needed an excuse to go out to the shop. Here it is. The laser is aligned with the end of the metal rod which is at center of the spindle height. When you touch the rod to the inside bottom of the bowl, the laser dot will show you how deep you are on the outside of the bowl. Not an original idea. I think I may have gotten it from an older American Woodturner magazine tip.
View attachment 40069
I bought a pack of 5 off ebay of the same one (from different seller but exact same photo and item) and only 4 of the five worked on arrival. the fifth one lasted two weeks. Seller replaced them and the replacements didn't work on arrival. took forever to get a refund.

Back