• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Last Man Done

The AAW has posted notice on its Home Page that the Winter 2006 Journal was mailed today.

Under the rules of the Last Man Standing Contest posted here last year, all entries for the 1-year renewal of AAW membership had to have been received before the mailing date of the current Winter issue of the American Woodturner.

Unfortunately, we had no qualifying entries. The contest is now closed.

For those who may have missed the original post, it is located at

http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1360

mm

Say What?

Mark,

I remember this, and was it for the latest received issue of the '05 Winter Journal? Those affidavits might be hard for some of us to get. I'd have to wait in my driveway for days for my rural mail carrier to come by, check the mail, and then run him or her off the road and get the signature. Then would have to track down my postmistress who won't take my phone calls, due to my complaints that the aforementioned carrier(s) were not closing the mailbox door completely and my mail was sometimes found on the ground, or maybe sometimes not found at all. For ref., I built a counterweight attachment that closes the "expletive" mailbox door, not all the way, but enough so the mail doesn't blow away.

The contest certainly seemed like a good idea at the time, but difficult to qualify.

Difficult?

Hey, I wasn't gonna part with my $40 without some real effort by the contestants! ;)

Is your carrier female as well? If so, it might be payback for that whole seat thing. :D

m

Andy Hoyt said:
No fair! Bad Form!

I'm still waiting. Open 'er back up, Mark.

Andy, Unfortunately you've identified the Catch 22 in the contest ( hey, nobody's perfect). In order to win, you must have been able to establish that you actually received the Journal on a certain date that was then determined by the judge to be the most distant from the original mailing date of November 15, 2005. If, however, you NEVER RECEIVE IT AT ALL, you would also never be eligable to enter the contest.

Given that the U.S. Postal Service was involved, the prize committee considered this possibility, however, since total no-receipt can't be corroborated through disinterested independent sources, it had to remain a non-qualifying non-event.

Sorry, Man. Maybe next time. :D

Back