• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Late Failure --split wedge

Went to select a vase to give to friend and found this. 2 wedges for some unknown reason decided to split and spread to pine wedge on either side. The split goes through to inside by shining a light on outside. 12 rings of the same wood and so far they are the only 2 in 1 ring that split. I believe that the wedges that split are maple. Any idea why?

Attachments

• CloseSploit.jpg
    CloseSploit.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 38
  • WholeSplit.jpg
    WholeSplit.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 38
Couple questions:

How long since it was finished?

Did the vase see any environmental changes or temperature extremes after finishing?

-----odie-----
Not sure how long, maybe 3 mo or more, I stopped dating them. No real extremes after finishing. I just found it wired that only two showed any cracks and side by side.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Not sure how long, maybe 3 mo or more, I stopped dating them. No real extremes after finishing. I just found it wired that only two showed any cracks and side by side.

OK.....My suggestions probably don't apply.

I'm assuming you're using KD (kiln dried) wood, and if that isn't so, then I'm out of ideas for you...... :(

-----odie-----

What is the wall thickness of the vase that split? I have turned a number of segmented pieces over the years and sometimes you end up with a thin wall on one side depending on how well you centered the rings when gluing them up.

Mike,
Probably 3/8. Been turning many, don;t keep track and never seen this. Most of my wood has been acquired over the years from various sources and probably not kiln dried.
Cut the split out and re-glued. Not perfect, only woodworker would see the 1/32 miss alignment.
Thanks for ideas.

Back