• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe advice

Good morning,

I was looking at getting a new lathe and was looking at the Jet 1640EVS and the NOVA Galaxi DVR 1644. I was leaning toward the NOVA as a I could by the outrigger later down the road to turn bigger bowls, but does anyone know any pros or cons between the two?

Thanks,

Tim

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have turned on the new jet 1640 an it is nice machine.
I have turned quite often in the older Nova DVR. Nova finally added a speed Dial which fixes a major deficiency of slooooow speed change of the arrow button controls. They also added a big red stop button.

I would have a slight preference for the Jet. I like the banjo more on the Jet. Locks are more positive.
I don’t like the Jet tool rest lock because it uses two opposing nuts to squeeze lock the tool post. This lock is super at holding the tool rest post but the nuts are prune tinblocking the opening if the banjo is moved or the tool rest or the lock handle to drop. Owners of these lathes learn to open the lock an extra turn and to not disturb the banjo when it doesn’t have a tool rest in it.

Both lathes will do nicely for bowls up to 14”.
Doing a 50” diameter piece on the Jet is theoretical only.
A 20” plater blank 2” thick is doable.

Back