• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Chuck Question

I need some advice. I’m shopping for my 1st lathe chuck and have been looking at the Barracuda2 T/N Plated Special Edition Lathe Key Chuck System from PSI. Does anyone with lathe experience have comments about this chuck? http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000CTN.html
I’ve looked at Oneway Chucks among others and the Barracuda2 T/N comes with several accessories that have to be purchased separately with others.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have a friend who bought one and it seems like a pretty good chuck. I would say it's not in the same league with Oneway or Vicmarc bit it is a pretty good chuck for your first one. Certainly better than my first chuck.

Chucks

Hi John,
I would have no fear in buying this chuck, a friend got one last year as his first chuck and is very happy with it. It is of very good quality. Penn State has made vast improvments in the quality of there tools in the last few years.
I bought a dedicated cole jaw type of chuck from them in January this year.
It came with 4 sets of different size rubber gripers the longest being 2 1/2 " lots of extra screws and the jaws are very well made.
It was designed to be used on a small type lathe, Jet mini but could be used on a larger lathe.
It runs as true as true can be. For a mear $99.00 on sale.
Go for it.
I'm not afilliated with PS just a happy customer.
Jim

Last edited:
Hi John,

I'am a newbie too, but I have bought several things from PSI and been very satisfied, there customer service is great and if your on budget their turning tools are a good value. You could never go wrong with just about anything from Oneway but PSI is a safe bet.

:cool2:

It was my first chuck. I have since bought others Oneway, a few Novas, but I still use it from time to time. One of the best selling points is the amount of jaws that come with it. It would cost you hundreds of $'s to get the same jaw sets for a Oneway, Vicmarc, Nova...
I actually pulled it out of a box Sunday and for a brief second thought "maybe I should sell this" (I have 4 other chucks), and quickly decided, not a chance, I still find it useful.

Hi John,
I have one of the older Barracuda chucks, tommy bar style. I have used it for close to 7 years now and have never had a problem with it. I know 3 other turners that own the Barracuda2 chuck. They love them. If you get one do be careful on how much you torque the jaw screws. They are a bit on the soft side for my liking but with a little caution I have never stripped one out.

GA. Darling

Like many other things we buy there are the intersecting planes of cost, durability, and capability. If you are turning on a 10" or 12" swing lathe and have no expectations of using the chuck for anything larger, then it is a bargin. If you plan to upgrade to a large lathe or start to turn unbalanced work, then I would go for a higher end chuck. If you have to chuck and rechuck your turnings, then a higher end chuck is in order. If you are planing to go from a mini/midi class lathe to a 16" swing lathe. then the spindal size will change. Does the B2 chuck have the capasity to change spindal size?

for a light duty chuck it is fine.

A.

PSI Chuck

I purchased the chuck I originally asked about several months ago and it's done everything I've asked it to do.
IMHO the Barracuda2 T/N Plated Special Edition Lathe Key Chuck System is a great bargain.
Thanks everybody for your responses!!!

Hmm, just realized this an old post. In case you happen to have gotten it, and have not discovered this fact: The worm screw that comes with the barracuda tends to break clean with heavy blanks and a bad catch. I've seen this happen twice with a friend of mine. I recommend replacing it with a oneway, or nova screw.

Dissent

I have to be the lone voice of dissent. I had a barracuda 2 and had to take it apart and clean it about once a week. the ring gear kept clogging up. Put it up for sale in a yard sale and it got stolen. Not a huge loss. I have 2 Vicmarcs and a Nova, and love them.

Back