• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

lathe for son

My son (13) has gotten the bug! I'm looking to get him a small starter lathe so he isn't using mine. Currently I have a Jet 1442. I'm leaning toward the PSI turncrafter Pro. It seems to have the same thread size as my jet so that I won't have to buy new chucks. Does anyone have experience with this lathe. I really don't want to spend much on this setup.

Thanks

Judt got one

I just upgraded to the turncrafterpro from psi I love it. It is easy to change speeds and very quiet and smooth. I think for the price ya can't go wrong.But do get it from psi or a good store mine was delivered with a broken handle I called psi and they sent me one rite out , In about a week.

R

Ron Sardo

Vinces WoodNWonders said:
Gran,
I would look seriously at the Jet Mini. I believe it is the favorite of the small lathes and an absolute workhorse. Vince

Ditto

Besides, the Jet mini and 1442 have the same spindle size

The jet mini isn't any better the the turncrafter pro in terms of its working quality. I've got them both and will say I would much rather deal with jet or a jet dealer than PSI though. The best reasons I had for reccomending PSI seem to be going out the window though, they keep raising the price and jet keeps lowering theirs, and for those of us who bought our turncrafter pros on amazon for $150 with free shipping you should see the price PSI lists the lathe for there now, $225 and no more free shipping on it either. If you can get a used turn crafter for cheap, it is a really good little lathe. But barring that I would look around and see if you can get a jet mini with the nova chuck on sale at woodcraft.

Thanks for the responses.

It occurs to me that I may be going about this from the wrong direction. Maybe instead of getting the boy a starter lathe , I should upgrade mine to a PM or Oneway and let him have the Jet. Now if only I can convince SWMBO that I only have my son's interests in mind :D

There ya go, Gran. That's the right idea.

Another fan of the Jet Mini here. Absolutely bomb proof and always on sale somewhere with either the bed extension or a chuck included. If given the choice, take the chuck.

One fun point. Just mentored someone with a new Jet mini. Couldn't get a clean cut and, low and behold, it had the wrong spindle in it. Was 1/8" too long and could not be tightened onto the bearing, giving the whole spindle 1/8" latteral play. Was able to do a temp fix with a couple of large washers and the owner is getting a replacement spindle from jet.

Notably, first time I've ever heard of any problem with a Jet (other than the broken tool rest that's typical for all the minis). I'm thinking they put a VS spindle in this non-VS lathe by accident.

Dietrich

gran said:
Thanks for the responses.

It occurs to me that I may be going about this from the wrong direction. Maybe instead of getting the boy a starter lathe , I should upgrade mine to a PM or Oneway and let him have the Jet. Now if only I can convince SWMBO that I only have my son's interests in mind :D

Hey there you go, now you're thinking! He could probably have your old tools since it would be dangerous to let him use any of new cheap ones, then buy yourself some new higher quality tools, and some new chucks, and a better DC system, and . . . . ;)

Back