• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

lathe parts

Hello, I have an old Delta Homecraft Lathe and I have broken the tool rest base or what I think is called the banjo. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement one or any advice on where to look for one that will work. The lathe is about 50 years old and I don't think I'll have much luck finding an old original one. thanks Chris

Website
www.zionfire.com
Looking at an old catalog for the Homecraft line, I'm wondering if the banjo assemblies from any of the current smaller lathes might work for you. Like maybe even one from a mini-lathe. It would depend on the configuration of the underside of the ways, but otherwise I'd think that you might even be able to adapt that from the connection on the old parts.

N oo B.....
If your busted part is cast iron or cast steel, it can easily and reasonably be welded at a good welding/machine shop, then it is just a matter of grinding the weld a bit to clean it up, and a repaint. I had this done to a tool rest post on my Sorby...cost me $5 and a few minutes shop time. Good luck on it.

Old Lathe

Your source should be Old Wood Working Machines see the website at
www.owwm.com

They have pictures and even some manuals in PDF of almost everything. They may know where original parts are - or replacements.

Good Luck

John

Many years ago when I had my first small cast iron lathe, I too broke the banjo. I took it to a welding shop to see if they could weld it together. The fellow there told me he could make a new one out of cold rolled steel that would be as good or better. Took him only a short time to drill the proper size hole for the tool rest into a piece of round stock and then weld that to a couple of lengths of square stock with a spacer between. I was back in business in no time. I broke mine trying to get the largest piece of wood I could on the 10 inch lathe. Made the banjo stick out where leverage and a catch made it two pieces.
Hugh

If brazing or welding won't do, might be able to use something current. Distance between the ways and thickness of the iron are the limiting factors. Start here http://www.acetoolrepair.com/home.asp to see what model and part you're dealing with. Plug your numbers into the search box.

A few places still sell Delta rests for the old distances and for the 46-7XX types.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Steve the photo of the lathe reminds me of one I bought in an excess equipment auction from a school system. I the part mname painted in white letters on the headstock, tailstock, ways, etc.

Rubes,
If you live near a small city it will most likely have a machinery company that may be able to fix you up. If the lathe you have has machined ways then any banjo of the correct height will probably work. The banjo sits flat on the ways and the only sized part you would need is the locking plate that is usually round stepped disk that fits into the ways. You may be able to use the one from your old banjo.

Its been a while but I took a broken banjo into the Skarie Machinery company in baltimore. The actully had one in stock that fit. They could also order most anything.

happy turning,
AL

Back