• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Withdrawl

Website
www.simoli.net
Since selling my lathe two weeks ago I've begun shaking. My mind keeps returning to thoughts of bowls and hollowforms. I don't pick up my new lathe till Thanksgiving, by then I will be unconsious.

Now that I will be owning my second lathe I believe I will start refering to myself as a woodturner :) .

Lathe aticipation!!!

Just unloaded my new PM-4224 off the truck :D

You think you got it bad, I have a show in less than ten days so I have to keep turning on my little grizzly, then I have to re-arrange my shop area to fit this new monster before I can plug it in, so you aint got it and can't use it I've got it and can't use it!

Makes a person want to cry :(

Frank D

I just put a jet 1642 on lay-a-way, only 6-7 more payments and it will be home. Since moving into my new house I have not been able to do anything. I have to put elec in the garage ( I mean shop) and do the walls and everything else. So I feel your withdrawl and sympathize with you.

Jeff

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jim I'm picking up my 10th lathe this weekend. Well actually it's a metal lathe. I'm going to sell 4 of them shortly so I'll be down to 6, oh my god what will I do. Actually 2 of them are more or less toys, one is a treadle lathe, 2 are metal lathes, and 4 are mini's and the Powermatic.
I think I'm a turner or an idiot I'm not sure which.

I only have 2 lathes, one metal and one wood lathe.

Jumper: you're going to like that Jet. I have the 2 HP 1642 and it's a very dependable lathe, solid and well built. Only complaint is indexing sucks on it. Need something better than what they put on, otherwise it's great.

Paul

Website
www.ispinwood.com
john lucas said:
Jim I'm picking up my 10th lathe this weekend. Well actually it's a metal lathe. I'm going to sell 4 of them shortly so I'll be down to 6, oh my god what will I do. Actually 2 of them are more or less toys, one is a treadle lathe, 2 are metal lathes, and 4 are mini's and the Powermatic.

Is this what I have to look forward to? I have two machines now and continue to use them both. I've been dreaming about a metal lathe but would need to do some major reorganizing/remodeling to fit it in. Then I realize that I don't want to do remodeling, I want to turn. So I bury the thought and focus on the wood spinning in front of me.

Paul,

I can't wait. I started and got hooked using a old shopsmith my father gave me. It is way to short and has alot of run out. I will now have to learn all over again, not that I am that good yet. Hopefully I will be up and running in the next few monthes. I have heard nothing but good things about the 1642, I also got the 2 hp/ 220vac model. I can live with the indexing for a while, I am not to the point of really using it yet, as I am still learning. I am also hoping to take some classes this winter as well.

Jeff

Website
www.simoli.net
Not so sure I could get away with having multiple lathes, my wife has a tight hold on me. As it is she made me get rid of my current one before I bring the next one home.

Crank up your chainsaws

Jeff & Jim
It seems to me that both of you should be out with your chainsaws collecting stock for the arrival of your new equipment. A day of slabing up blanks and you'll be too tired to mope about being without a lathe.

Congrats on both your purchases. I have another year or two before my 1642 becomes a buffing station and a Powermatic joins the family.

Frank

The way I see it I will have 2 lathes. The jet 1642, and the PM3520 that I am going to win from the AAW when I renew online :cool2: :lol: I do have a whole walnut tree that I have to slab. Guess I should get to that. Maybe after I do the electrical in the shop.

Jeff

LATHE D.T.s

Well now...you boys need to re-do your proirities!!! Divorce the little woman, and after her and her stuff are out, you will gain SPACE and ROOM and DOMINANCE and PEACE and and and...the only other alternative is for you to ship me your lathes (shipping prepaid by you, of course), and I will send you a rare e-mail regarding their performance. I have the room!!! I offer cuz I hate to see fellow turners in agony, and I am a nice guy. :D :D :D :D

Website
www.simoli.net
Don't think divorce would solve anything. First of all after its all done I would have to move out into a tiny little house. On top of that I would have no money for a new lathe or any other tools for that matter. :)

My wife always says that in event of a divorce I get the kids, she the tools.

I think she's just kidding, but why take a chance.

Lathes

:( Well durn!!!! Does this mean I don't get a free lathe??? It's all your wife's fault!!! Shoot....they're nuttin but trouble. :( :( :(

R

Ron Sardo

:D you know you got it bad when you have 10 lathes :D

john lucas said:

My wife has decided to start turning, so now she uses the PM 3520 that I just got for all my birthday, Christmas ,anniversary, Easter and any other holiday I might get a present for. Luckily while she's not demanding that I show her how to do something, I can still use my old Jet 1236 that I had been planning to sell. It's amazing how much better I do now with the Jet than I did before,having taken some classes and having alot more experience with the PM. :) :rolleyes:

Status Report????

Simoli said:
Since selling my lathe two weeks ago I've begun shaking. My mind keeps returning to thoughts of bowls and hollowforms. I don't pick up my new lathe till Thanksgiving, by then I will be unconsious.

SNIP.

Jim,

Thanksgiving is over. Are you still unconsious? The shaking should have abated by now and the lathe fallen from the truck.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Richard

Website
www.simoli.net
Richard Preston said:
Jim,

Thanksgiving is over. Are you still unconsious? The shaking should have abated by now and the lathe fallen from the truck.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Richard
The turkey helped my spirits a little. I have the lathe set up and running but haven't had a chance to make anything yet. I will get some pics up shortly. I also need to figure out what to do with all the stuff that came with it. The lathe came with the 6 piece Robert Sorby tools of which I already have all. Might end up selling the set or maybe just some of the tools and keep the others for multiple profiles.

Sky

I only have... lets see... PM 2035(my first lathe), Carbitec mini, One way 1236(belonds to my friend DEE traveling on the road for two years), two jet mini's -one is variable speed, a Bonnie Klein mini, and a Dremmel super mini 2"swing. Seven I guess. I live in a townhome with no room for machinery so I have a shop a few miles away. Oh yeh, my wife doesn't have a key to it either ;) . Sold my metal lathe a couple months ago.

Simoli said:
The turkey helped my spirits a little. I have the lathe set up and running but haven't had a chance to make anything yet. I will get some pics up shortly. I also need to figure out what to do with all the stuff that came with it. The lathe came with the 6 piece Robert Sorby tools of which I already have all. Might end up selling the set or maybe just some of the tools and keep the others for multiple profiles.

Haven't turned since Thanksgiving myself. I'll hang an OT pic at the end to show why, but the withdrawl symptoms are causing me to look at those blanks I need to rough and those ornament bits and pieces I want to turn with a good deal of lust.

Don't sell the other set. You would be surprised how minor differences in grind can affect the effective cutting angle. Keep them, learn them, maybe even regrind them bit by bit if you don't need the money. Worse to worse, you can keep them or your others as roughing and finishing sets. You keep the finishing sets with longer bevels for finer shavings and hone them for finicky work. Beat those short-bevelled things to death by hogging and touch them to the wheel.

Still cutting with my original carbon steel set. They're set up for the final and fine paring.

Hoping I can have the new quarters ready before s/he vacates the old. OB appointment today, due still 28 December.

Attachments

• Dry-Assembly-1.jpg
    Dry-Assembly-1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 111
Yep. Daughter request. Wanted it to be as close as possible to their bed, which the son-in-law and I made last year. Not sure why, as it's in the other room, and I had some dynamite yellow birch available.

I've got a couple of square dishes from the scraps ready to go as soon as I have access to the lathe. Hostess gifts to be filled with cookies. OB says I have ten days to finish the bed. Two weeks maybe. I've been invited to what should be the final ultrasound tomorrow morning.

Back