• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Learning Curve help

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I'll bet that is bruising and tool marks.. looks like some of my earlier bowls.. the bowl warped a bit on the lathe, went out of round.. so sanding and later cuts completely missed those little opposite sections.. and could never completely sand them out.. (except by hours of tedious hand sanding) and I frequently still get those transition lines on bottom of bowl.. mainly because I think I'm trying to turn too sharp of a corner.. which I suspect is burnishing from the heel of gouge... .. the cherry bowl, ring in the center, also frequent (gouge cut a little too deep at just that spot.. possibly due to a hesitation or shifting body position before cut was finished.. or tool rest blemish.. check your tool rest and be sure it is completely flawlessly smooth with no nicks, notches, rough patches.. ) cherry if it is not completely dry does seem to discolor its sapwood like that.. I got that in a lot of my bowls until I mostly solved that (or at least I figured out why it happens to me.. as I noted above)

Back