• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lee Walker

After retirement from the US Navy as a CWO4 machinist, and a second career in military logistics support, we moved to an 80 acre forrest farm in central Kentucky. As a longtime hobby woodworker, having my own hardwoods, a bandsaw mill, and a dedicated woodworking shop, I've found my heaven.
In the last few years I've become interested in turning wood. After acquiring a used PM 3520b and a growing set of gouges and accessories, I find myself here, enthusiastic about learning from the experts, professionals, and the more experienced.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Glad you are learning. There are quite a few turners in Central Kentucky but I don't know exactly where you are. I'm in Central Tennessee. Cookeville to be exact. Check with Pete at www.bigmonklumber.com who lives up that direction. He might be able to turn you on to other turners.

Thanks all for the welcomes! Roger the need to find a local turning club. I'm sure there are others near me. John, I'm about 12 miles east of Berea which is well known for wood working artisans.

After retirement from the US Navy as a CWO4 machinist, and a second career in military logistics support, we moved to an 80 acre forrest farm in central Kentucky. As a longtime hobby woodworker, having my own hardwoods, a bandsaw mill, and a dedicated woodworking shop, I've found my heaven.
In the last few years I've become interested in turning wood. After acquiring a used PM 3520b and a growing set of gouges and accessories, I find myself here, enthusiastic about learning from the experts, professionals, and the more experienced.
Welcome to the forum, Lee. You have come to the right place to gain more knowledge! Happy turning!

With a bandsaw mill you can start cutting some wood billets of various sizes and species for all of your wood turning projects down the road.
It takes about a year to dry an inch of wood, so getting some bigger billets cut now you will have them cured several years down the road.
The larger cured wood billets are expensive and hard to come by depending on the species. Many of your dead or downed trees can be harvested
for usable wood billets for the lathe, Walnut can look horrible on the outside and still have good wood inside the log for a number of years.

Back