• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Link Technology - Exocet tools

I have acquired a set of Exocet turning tools produced by Link Technology, Wellington, NZ, http://www.exocet-tools.com/exocet/. I have tried in vain for over a year to make contact with this New Zealand company to get assistance using the tools but more important to get parts for them as well. I have sent dozens of emails that are not answered as well. I am writing here to ask if anyone is familiar with the company and if so if they have been in touch with them. I will appreciate any and all help you can provide.

Were they absorbed by Woodcut?

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/

A quick google search revealed overlap, but I couldn't tell for sure as there is very, very little information on Link Technology out on the web.

Woodcut is certainly still around though and well thought of.

Mike

Hey Rayjay,

Welcome to the forum. You might want to try the Australian turning forum. Also I think some of their members are members here.

The following from another friend on the Australian forum:

Richard ,
This outfit may be the one .

Link Technology - Linktech Plastics
417 Cuba St Alctn Lower Hutt ,
New Zealand .

Tel: 64-4-586-0777

I found the info here .
Exocet hollowing tool [Archive] - Woodwork Forums

The address and and phone number are still in the current listings

Exocet tools

No worries, as we say down under ;)

Two minutes with Google produced the links.

I too found the Google link but when you try to log in they require registration. In the past I could email them and they promised to send info but failed to do so and now when I send email they just refused to reply even after promising to do so. They have just fallen off the map so to speak.

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/

A quick google search revealed overlap, but I couldn't tell for sure as there is very, very little information on Link Technology out on the web.

Woodcut is certainly still around though and well thought of.

Mike

I have sent these people a message asking if they know of the Exocet tools. I will advise if they respond and what they have to say.

The man is Harry Memelink. I've used his tools for many years. They are excellent - I believe the best hollowing tool there is, but Rolly Munro's newest design is very nearly as good. The problem with Harry, in my opinion, is that he is a great designer and not so good as a businessman. Too bad, but that's the way it seems to be, as you are finding out.

I used to use Harry's Exocet for rough hollowing and Rolly's for finishing, but I now use Rolly's tool for both.

The broken piece (a retainer?) I may be able to help you with. I have a small supply of Exocet parts. Email me (I'm in the Resource Directory) and describe the part.

As for using the tool, the main thing to remember is that it must be right on center, as is the case with any guarded ring tool. Slightly above center and the guard keeps you out of the cut. Slightly below center and the body of the cutter keeps you out of the cut. I suggest you use it on pieces of scrap wood mounted faceplate style until you get the hang of it, then try hollowing in where it is out of sight. Remember that this type of tool is very efficient, and the cutter/guard gap need not be too wide. Keep it small and you'll find the tool easy to control and a joy to use. Unlike ring tools, guarded ring tools are used with the cutter held level horizontally.

The cutters come in two styles - round and elliptical. I much prefer the round style, as it does not try to take too much of a bite as does the elliptical cutter at times. This is due to the geometry. If you look at the cutter and determine how much cutting edge is actually contacting the wood when taking a 1/8" cut, you'll see why this is.

If you can find a supplier, the cost of a cutter (last I knew) was about $60. The same price for a guard. Cutter and guard must match in style. I helped a friend buy a set from Harry a couple years ago, and it took six months to get it all. Very frustrating, with a number of communications between Harry & my friend & I.

The tools show up on EBay occasionally, and others can be found on web sites about turning. Often, they come up for sale because the user did not understand how to use them correctly.

If you are unable to get a part for your tool, I'd recommend Rolly's new design. It's simpler, stronger and much easier to obtain, despite their popularity at Albuquerque, which basically sold out the entire stock for a while.

Either of these tools can be mounted on the end of a good boring bar, where they will hollow a large form in record time. I'm a partner in a company that can help with that, too.

Last edited:
Exocet tools

Did you actually use this info or was it just dumping that you wanted to do?

:confused:

Not sure I understand what you mean by "dumping"!!!

I have contact the company in the UK (found google reference) long ago to find they have little to do with Link Technology apparently because of the same problem I am having.

Back