• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lionel Duprat

Howdy all!
Been attracted by wood turning for a while... watched half a million videos... twice :). Then time had come to try it. Found a mini nova lathe and a set of basic turning tools in decent shape used locally... I had a few logs of unknown wood from overgrown "bushes" in the yard. Started to turn my first part as a "bowl" as I needed to make a belt guard for my bandsaw... result is shown below... it looks a lot worse inside. I really enjoyed the process and the feeling that came with how the wood reacts differently along the grain or across, or if you run across a knot... or if you don't present the tool right (I got to feel that more times than I wanted.).
Although a total novice at wood turning, I am very much of a do it yourselfer, with a particular passion (read "problem") for buying older equipment and giving it a new life. Following that vicious pattern, I have already found an old (don't think they come as "recent") PM90 a friend of mine wanted to part with. I have gone through it and it seems in decent shape except for some play on the reeves keyways. Going to try to source some replacement ones soon so that no additional wear and side effects will develop. That lathe runs smooth and is probably going to be more lathe than I need for a while.

I have seen very many really cool objects I'd like to be able to make at some point (plates, bowls, mallets, lamp footings...) but I am in no hurry, and want to spend the time it takes to learn as much basics as I can... Right now I am focusing on sharpening and using the skew properly. I found it to be very tricky, even with the plane cut which feels somewhat natural in one direction, but foreign going the other way. I have started trying to cut beads with the skew, and needless to say this will require more practice until no catch is experienced, and perhaps even at some point the shape is somewhat under control. I am probably going to be slow progressing through the craft as hobby time is always hard to find, but I am fine with that...

Perhaps I'll have something cool made to share with the community here. Also at some point and when covid restrictions will start being less present I would love to meet local wood turners and perhaps learn a trick or two more. Feel free to let me know if you are in the Fort Worth area.
Cheers
Lionel

IMG_E2354 (1).jpg

Lionel, welcome to the forum from another Cowtowner. When this Covid stuff has wound down, I hope to see you at a meeting of the Woodturners of North Texas (www.wntx.org). We are meeting on ZOOM for the time being.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of information here, just ask. My first attempt at turning was a piece of 2x4 and a wood chisel.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome, Lionel. I am also in the Fort Worth area and a member of the Woodturners of North Texas. We meet at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club on the east side of cowtown. The last time we met in person was February 2020, but hopefully, we will be able to meet in person soon. Meanwhile, we are having virtual meetings using Zoom.

Thank you all for the welcoming words! I have looked online and found the information about the Woodturners of North Texas group, meeting on the east side of town. I will for sure participate in person when that time comes. Perhaps by then I will have questions that will be just past the absolute beginner level. I felt bad about just turning my latest practice log into a pile of chips only... so I turned it into a small chiseling mallet. I learnt you really have to think about how you are going to finish the ends of your piece before getting too far into turning it especially when starting between centers... I could not find a good way to finish the top end of the mallet since I could not "chuck it" from the handle side after I finished it. Love the trial and error process :)

Emiliano, I am sure I'll attend next time you are in town. Sandy, Bill, I will be looking forward to meeting everyone in person.
Cheers
Lionel

Lionel.jpg

Back