• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Local Club Membership/Magazine?

Hello everyone,

As I promised, I would return to the website after my surgery, "God willing anyway". The surgery went well, better than expected and now I'm onto my 4-6 month recovery time. This down time is so brutal, but I just started feeling human yesterday. I did have an unexpected portion of the surgery where they took 12" of my muscle from my thigh for some reconstructive surgery, and to promote healthy tissue to a wound. Wow, the stuff they can do nowadays is absolutely remarkable. With that said, I'm limping around now too and the leg is very tight and will take quite a while to loosen up and feel normal once again. The good news, with everything removed I am currently labeled as "NED" = NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE! It has been almost 4 years since I was able to say that, it's a very good feeling.

Now, what I wanted to do was subscribe to get the American Woodturner Magazine and now I'm on a membership page with all sorts of options, to join a club? Asking for my workplace info? Am I at the right page here to sign up for the magazine? I don't mind signing up for the local chapter which is Central New England Woodturners in my area. Do I have to be accepted by members to join the club, or can anyone just join? I would love to eventually go to the meetings anyway down the road once I'm healed up a little more. But for now, I don't mind donating the dues to join and get a great magazine in the process.

I just wanted to make sure that this is how the process is done before I start entering all my info and then end up with nothing to show for it. I guess I would sign up as a "General" member correct? I know it's very late and won't get a response until sometime tomorrow but, figured I would try. Lying around all day gets so old, just watching TV, and when I was browsing on my laptop I came across the Woodturner magazine and said, "I want that!" Hope everyone takes it slow in the morning, we have about 10" of snow coming here in Central New England. So take it easy and hope to hear from someone, good night.

Dylan

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Dylan,

I am so pleased to hear about your good report on the surgery. Recovery will be lots of hard work, but you have lots to look forward to.

Some local clubs also require membership in the AAW. You can call or email the club president to get information on dues, meeting date and time, etc. Membership dues in most clubs is fairly inexpensive ... my club only charges $24 per year. To join the AAW and receive the American Woodturner journal (six issues per year), click on Membership on the menu bar as shown below. Then click on Join in the drop down menu. That will send you to the right place to join the AAW.

image.jpeg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Dylan,
Terrific news
Sounds like you landed in a chapter website. Follow @Bill Boehme’s directions for the AAW web site.
Woodturner.org
Joining the AAW includes the American Woodturner as well as many on line items from the web site.
You have the option of online only where you have to down load the journal electronically.
As a paper member you get a hard copy of the journal and can download it too.

Be sure to double check your address entries. Every year new members don’t get their American woodturner and when they call the office they learn they gave a false address. A bad zip code is something the nice folks at the post office can’t fix.

Great news! I have my annual physical at the VA on the 18th and because of your situation I've decided to get totally screened for cancer. Too many people have it. The best to you in your recovery.

Glad that things are going well for you. Our chapter doesn't require AAW membership but bylaws state an officer must be an AAW member. The membership is well worth it. The magazine has lots of good articles from basic turning to some very elaborate pieces. There are also listings for tools, lathes, wood sources and finishes.

Great news! I have my annual physical at the VA on the 18th and because of your situation I've decided to get totally screened for cancer. Too many people have it. The best to you in your recovery.
I'm really happy to hear this Dave, it is so important to find any cancer in it's early stages. It's so much easier to treat when it's found early, I've been through absolute hell, and still going through hell. I'm very luck to still be alive, I owe that to a great bunch of doctors and surgeons that saved my life. I wish you the best and hope you have a clean bill of health!

Okay, I followed the method you told me to register and I successfully registered and just paid the $60. for the first go around. Now, will I get the April edition hard copy magazine sent to my house? I know I will have access to the digital version right away but I really like the magazine in hand. It's something tangible you know? I'm also looking forward to joining the local chapter and meeting some people and just seeing how other turners get things done. I haven't been involved in something like this in a very long time. I've been sick for years so with treatments and surgery, I don't get out much so I'm looking to change that! I should be able to get out and have most of my restrictions lifted in a couple moths or so. I still can't pick anything up heavier than a gallon of milk, you know, things like that.

I also bought some new tooling that I can't wait to try out! I got a few more D-Ways tools, some beading tools and a bottom feeder bowl gouge. For the first time; I'm trying out Carter and Son tools. I got a parting tool and a few bowl gouges. That will be my motivation for getting back on the lathe, lol!! I actually hear a lot of positive things about Carter and Son tools, the handles are beautiful and the tools are very sharp and polished. I'm extremely happy with the quality so far. Have a great night everyone!

Dylan

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Now, will I get the April edition hard copy magazine sent to my house? I know I will have access to the digital version right away but I really like the magazine in hand.
It depends on when the mailing list goes to the publisher.
I don’t think it would have gone yet.
If you call the AAW office they can tell you for sure. They are a very helpful group.
877-595-9094

If you call the AAW office they can tell you for sure. They are a very helpful group.
877-595-9094
Oh I see, that would make perfect sense. I think I'll just wait and see what I get in the mail. Thanks for the reply hock!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
877-595-9094

And, while you are waiting for your first printed copy of American Woodturner you can create an online account on the main site by clicking on "Sign In" as shown in the screenshot below.

image.jpeg

Once you have signed in, there will be many additional menu items that are available only to AAW members including access to every issue of American Woodturner from the very first issue up through the current issue.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You also have access to the online membership directory.

There are all sorts of ways to use the directory. You can enter a name if you have a specific person in mind (example: Bill Boehme) or you could enter a partial name (example: Bill), but be aware that there are more than a few woodturners named Bill. :D You can also search by city (example: Auburn), but there's probably more than one Auburn. You could narrow the search by entering Massachusetts in the Location field. You can also search by Zip code or a partial Zip code in the "Postal Code" field to broaden the search to a wider area.

Once you get the search results, you can click on a person's name to see expanded information such as email address, web site, photo gallery, field of interest, address, etc.

Hello again, well I paid the $60.00 and joined the AAW and I got an email today explaining what the membership benefits are and the first thing it said about the magazine is, it's not available in print to online members? Does this mean I would have to be a member at a club to get the magazine mailed to me? I understand I can access the magazine online, but I like to have the physical copy to read most times. SS.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There is an option to join at a significantly reduced price in which the magazine is available online, but paper copies of the journal aren't included. You paid $60 so you will receive the printed journal.

To be clear, the term "online members" has nothing to do with forum membership. It's probably a poor choice of words since someone might construe it to mean someone having an account on the forum or the AAW main site. The online member option was created a few years ago in response to the rising cost of printing and mailing the journal. Also, many magazines and newspapers are offering this option because many people (especially younger people) would rather use their mobile devices to store magazines rather than accumulating piles of magazines.

There is an option to join at a significantly reduced price in which the magazine is available online, but paper copies of the journal aren't included. You paid $60 so you will receive the printed journal.

To be clear, the term "online members" has nothing to do with forum membership. It's probably a poor choice of words since someone might construe it to mean someone having an account on the forum or the AAW main site. The online member option was created a few years ago in response to the rising cost of printing and mailing the journal. Also, many magazines and newspapers are offering this option because many people (especially younger people) would rather use their mobile devices to store magazines rather than accumulating piles of magazines.
Oh I see, that makes sense. I have a couple of accounts where I receive the digital version but with the wood turning magazines, I wanted the printed version as well. My eyes got destroyed from the chemo so looking at a monitor for too long gives me bad headaches. Thanks again Bill, I appreciate it!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Oh I see, that makes sense. I have a couple of accounts where I receive the digital version but with the wood turning magazines, I wanted the printed version as well. My eyes got destroyed from the chemo so looking at a monitor for too long gives me bad headaches. Thanks again Bill, I appreciate it!

There are some LCD monitors that can cause eye strain resulting in severe headaches. Generally, the type that has a TN (twisted nematic) panel is much more likely to cause this problem mainly because of flicker when the refresh rate isn't fast enough. TN panels also suffer from lower color gamut and narrow viewing angle. Most notebook computers have TN panels. The main other type is called an IPS (in-plane switching) panel. IPS panels are more expensive, but they are much more comfortable to view for extended periods.

There are some LCD monitors that can cause eye strain resulting in severe headaches. Generally, the type that has a TN (twisted nematic) panel is much more likely to cause this problem mainly because of flicker when the refresh rate isn't fast enough. TN panels also suffer from lower color gamut and narrow viewing angle. Most notebook computers have TN panels. The main other type is called an IPS (in-plane switching) panel. IPS panels are more expensive, but they are much more comfortable to view for extended periods.

Thanks again Bill, I used to be a geek back in the day and I used to build gaming rigs for my family and friends. I was also the unofficial IT guy for the company I worked for too. But, I was really into it and loved it. It was a fun hobby but got very expensive keeping up with technology that changes every 4 months! I have a triple monitor setup no and they're all IPS panels. They are pretty old now and I could use an upgrade but I'm afraid my wife would kill me with an old computer part of mine if I built another "UPGRADE" . Haha

So I try to keep most of my free money going towards my new hobby of wood turning these days. Unfortunately I don't have the budget like I did when I was working 60 hours a week! Now I'm on SSDI thanks to Cancer and all of that money goes to my lovely wife so we can pay the bills. My goal and hope is to be able to return to work some day, but if I want to be brutally honest with myself, that probably won't happen. But one can always hope, that's all I have. Thank you once again Bill for always replying to my posts and keeping me informed, I really do appreciate that. Take care my friend, I'm sure I will be posting again soon with some other question or problem I am having, lol! Good night.....

Hello everyone,

As I promised, I would return to the website after my surgery, "God willing anyway". The surgery went well, better than expected and now I'm onto my 4-6 month recovery time. This down time is so brutal, but I just started feeling human yesterday. I did have an unexpected portion of the surgery where they took 12" of my muscle from my thigh for some reconstructive surgery, and to promote healthy tissue to a wound. Wow, the stuff they can do nowadays is absolutely remarkable. With that said, I'm limping around now too and the leg is very tight and will take quite a while to loosen up and feel normal once again. The good news, with everything removed I am currently labeled as "NED" = NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE! It has been almost 4 years since I was able to say that, it's a very good feeling.

Now, what I wanted to do was subscribe to get the American Woodturner Magazine and now I'm on a membership page with all sorts of options, to join a club? Asking for my workplace info? Am I at the right page here to sign up for the magazine? I don't mind signing up for the local chapter which is Central New England Woodturners in my area. Do I have to be accepted by members to join the club, or can anyone just join? I would love to eventually go to the meetings anyway down the road once I'm healed up a little more. But for now, I don't mind donating the dues to join and get a great magazine in the process.

I just wanted to make sure that this is how the process is done before I start entering all my info and then end up with nothing to show for it. I guess I would sign up as a "General" member correct? I know it's very late and won't get a response until sometime tomorrow but, figured I would try. Lying around all day gets so old, just watching TV, and when I was browsing on my laptop I came across the Woodturner magazine and said, "I want that!" Hope everyone takes it slow in the morning, we have about 10" of snow coming here in Central New England. So take it easy and hope to hear from someone, good night.

Dylan
Now that you’ve signed up you can read every back issue ever published. Have fun!

Back