• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for Hand Chasers

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
On my next annual trip to Argentina, I would like to take some chasers. I'm looking for 16, 18, 19 or 20 TPI.
One of the standard jokes that I say during my demos, joke was stolen from @Mike Peace , I ask how many in the audience have chasers. Then, I ask, how many of you use them? LOL Point is, lots of turners buy them, very few use them. If you have given up, let me know, I can buy them or I can trade you for some Koa.

This is't my idea, but I wanted to try larger threads so I'm using an 1 1/4 x 8 tap for some research and development...
The steel is a harbor freight $10 chisels set, plenty of steel in the set for a couple of threaders. Why I felt the need to anneal the whole chisel I don't know, live and learn...
Teeth were formed with a triangle file, then refined with the tap. The 1/4 piece of the block is cut so the remaining "shelf" is above center so the tap cuts an angle on the steel. At this stage of the game I realize I could have just filed teeth this big, but it showed me good threaders can be shop made. I think less TPI would be a lot easier.
The plan is to have a threading class some time this summer using shop made threaders. Maybe a bit ambitious, we'll see.

Just another idea...
When are you leaving?

Threader.jpeg

I have an extra set of 20tpi by Mayes & Warwick, not yet used.
Also, you could ask Mark St Leger if he still makes chasers. I have both 16tpi and 20tpi that he made. They are double-ended and store inside the handle--very convenient for travel!
IMG_2186.JPG

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have an extra set of 20tpi by Mayes & Warwick, not yet used.
Also, you could ask Mark St Leger if he still makes chasers. I have both 16tpi and 20tpi that he made. They are double-ended and store inside the handle--very convenient for travel!
View attachment 43709
Definitely interested! How much do you want for the Mayes and Warwick? Let's go to a conversation about that.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
This is't my idea, but I wanted to try larger threads so I'm using an 1 1/4 x 8 tap for some research and development...
The steel is a harbor freight $10 chisels set, plenty of steel in the set for a couple of threaders. Why I felt the need to anneal the whole chisel I don't know, live and learn...
Teeth were formed with a triangle file, then refined with the tap. The 1/4 piece of the block is cut so the remaining "shelf" is above center so the tap cuts an angle on the steel. At this stage of the game I realize I could have just filed teeth this big, but it showed me good threaders can be shop made. I think less TPI would be a lot easier.
The plan is to have a threading class some time this summer using shop made threaders. Maybe a bit ambitious, we'll see.

Just another idea...
When are you leaving?

View attachment 43708
This year I'm going in October. Doug Thompson and Mike Hunter each have donated a lot of tools for the woodturning school in Buenos Aires. Dale Larson donated a VM120 chuck. Pedro Castaneda donated several tools. The AAW donated a bog box of tools the first year. It has been a big community effort to get the school going. A super ingenious way to make one! The block of wood is holding the tap! Let me know how they turn out!!

Back