• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for training document

A friend of a friend saw my work and has been looking for a new hobby. I have been turning for 5 years both facework and cetnerwork, and want to help him start the right way. Plenty of tools, enough experience and 3 different size lathes, so I am ready top help and teach.... but I want a syllabus. Does anyone have like a power point or work document the guides a teacher through the right steps of the process. Otherwise, i am pretty sure, i might be kinda scattered. Looking for a doc that someone has already created which could help keep me on track. I can make one myself, of course...but I figured I would reach out here cuase someone has to have made something similar in the past.

Thanks!!

Nick

BTW - if this is the incorrect forum, please let me know so I can post it in the correct forum. Thanks again!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
It’s well worth reading the materials @Clifton C mentioned.

The 3 things I try to follow in courses I teach is
1. order the classes so the next ones build on the first.
2. AVOID TELLING THEM TOO MUCH - just cover what they need at the time.
3. Begin with success oriented classes.

Do answer questions but don’t let the answer take you down a rabbit hole.

I like to start with spindles. A carving mallet is the first turning I have beginning bowl students do.
Practice Beads and coves on throw away piece.
Then the mallet. Can’t make a mallet that doesn’t work. A9CE8E55-3E86-476F-B7F5-03599ADC78F7.jpeg

In kids classes we did spin tops( coves only), whistle (beads), key chain ( beads and coves), gavel head, gavel handle, lidded box ( drilled the box opening).
Spin tops can be a nice first “ big kids” class.
1st they round a 2x2x3. The turn a cove in the middle. Making the cove wider and wider leaving a cylinder between the cove edges the diameter of a pencil. The left cove is the cut used to make the top point. The right cove is the cut to make the top of the top,. The cylinder is the handle. Next they turn a top using techniques they just practiced.

There is no one perfect method in teaching a craft skill to a beginner, each person will acquire the skills and knowledge in time. Some individuals learn using visual content, while others utilize a step-by-step process to learn a skill. Start with the basics and build the skill sets and knowledge one day at a time. Some people will learn quickly while others will need to be shown numerous times on specific tool techniques.

There is a school based program section somewhere on the AAW main website. Communities-->Educators Educators resources It has good materials, including directions on turning about 14 different projects, for novice to intermediate turners. There may be a syllabus there, as well.

The basics of the school program is the beginning turner gets an intro to the lathe and a safety talk, then makes 2 projects under supervision (a top and or honey dipper). Once those are done, it's pretty obvious if the beginner is safe and ready to move on to any one of the dozen other projects. (Our kids are amazingly enamored of goblets for some reason.) In any case, you could follow a similar pathway:
Intro to the lathe and tools​
Safety​
Make 2 simple spindle projects, maybe a bead and cove stick first, emphasizing the ABCs.​
Make more advanced projects, emphasizing foot position, turning with the whole body (Eric Lofstrom's Dance Moves), grain orientation, additional methods for attaching work to the lathe, additional tools like bowl gouge.​
Intro to sharpening--We can't afford to let our students sharpen, but your one student will need to learn it​
I would put most of the other projects ahead of end grain hollowing, natural edge bowls, and hollow forms, as these more difficult projects would be easier once other skills are obtained​
Good luck. Teaching is very rewarding.

Back