• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

loose handle

I bought a couple of bowl gouges from PSI & the 1/2 inch gouge came w/ a loose handle. My questions is how are the handles held in place to begin w/ & is it something I should just do myself or should I worry w/ sending it (or them) back? I thought I remembered a thread about this awhile back on this site but I couldn't find it this morning. Thanks.

g

B

Brian Myers

They are just jammed in . You could use epoxy , thick CA , or take 2 small slivers of wood and jam one above and one below the opening the gouge goes in to take up the excess room. Even better, you are a turner, make your own handle to suit your personal likes. ;)

Didn't mention what kind of tang. If it's a cylinder, you're in the classic differential contraction problem. Wood expands/contracts at different rates on quarter and face grains as humidity changes, and the steel not at all. If there's a real ferrule, which is to say a substantial metal ring on a tapered shank, you might just be able to get all you want by tapping it down. If not, remove, coat with adhesive and return the entire steel part to the hole in the wood. Doesn't really matter what the adhesive is, since you're not using it as glue, just as a space filler.

If it's a non-cylinder, dollars to donuts it's tapered, so a couple of quick raps on the opposite end will tighten in the socket, and a tap or two on the ferrule as a followup probably won't even be needed.

Back