• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lou Jacobs

Hello! I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to woodturning, at least at any serious level. I've recently retired and am looking forward to having the time to more fully develop my skills, and also, hopefully, get involved with my local turning club. I did try that a year or two ago, but club meetings often conflicted with professional responsibilities. Now, happily, those are a thing of the past.
I've been an avid woodworker and have been a small boat builder and cabinetmaker since my teens. My wife and I live in Baltimore, but also have property in the Adirondacks (upstate New York) where I am fortunate to be able to harvest my own wood, mostly sugar maple, beech, yellow and white birch, and cherry. I have a Grizzly lathe which is serviceable, but I've come to learn is not a precision instrument. One of these days I'd love to upgrade to a more serious machine.
I've been enjoying bowl turning as well as the challenge of outfitting my shop with many homemade jigs and turning aids such as donut chuck, Longworth style chuck, and Cole jaws.
Here's a corner of my shop (a converted 20'x20' garage).
lathe pic.JPG
donut chuck pic.JPG empty guidelboat pic.JPG One of two Adirondack Guideboats I've recently built.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Like your boat.

If you haven’t already done so, Be sure to go to some of the excellent local chapters near you.
I recommend you visit both the Chesapeake Woodturners in Annapolis
And the Baltimore Area woodturners in Rosedale

Two other clubs a but further out are Montgomery county and Capitol Area.

The Local chapters have so much to offer. Might find a good deal on a lathe.

Al

Thanks Al. I absolutely intend to go to the Baltimore Area Turners meeting as soon as I can. I got a lot from the few of their meetings I was able to attend last year.

Thanks so much Bill. I still feel like a beginner, but it's good to learn what I don't know, and be able to work on those skills a bit at a time. I'm looking forward to using this forum.

Thanks so much Mike and Gerald. I can't take any credit for the design. I was working from a set of drawings made from about that is over 100 years old.

Back