• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magnetic Hook Reminds Me to Put my Face Shield On

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
That's my lathe! :)

I like this idea....I think I will use an offcut, a rare earth magnet, and a large cup hook. Pretty sure I have all 3 (the hook is the only one I am not sure of - i know I have small ones)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
In the thick of turning, I sometimes forget to put my face shield on. Usually after I've taken it off to get a close look at something. I stuck a magnetic hook on my lathe to hang my face shield over my on/off switch. Now, I can't turn the lathe on without grabbing my face shield off the hook.

View attachment 44182View attachment 44183
I'm not sure about the safety rating of the mask that you are using. I believe that is only a splash guard. Very little protection if anything flies off the lathe. You want something with a frame around it. This is what I use when I'm not wearing my 3M Versaflow https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VY3ACE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
I'm not sure about the safety rating of the mask that you are using. I believe that is only a splash guard. Very little protection if anything flies off the lathe. You want something with a frame around it. This is what I use when I'm not wearing my 3M Versaflow https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VY3ACE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Somehow, I knew that would be the Uvex. Seems like every turner I know uses (or used) that one at some point :) It is what I have - and that reminds me, I need to order a couple more lenses for it. The current one is rather spotty, thanks to some finishing I was doing recently and getting a little too much shine juice on the piece so the lathe flung it off at me :) I try to keep a couple on hand just in case, but I am out right now.

Back