• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Making scrapers?

I came across some old chisels this weekend that have massive blades and thought they might be re-shaped into good scrapers.

Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions or things to watch out for? Any suggestions about how to make a new longer handle?

Charlie,
Might also make a skew if you get a good answer to the handle question. Seems like a good idea. I need to make a skew, since I ground mine into a curved scraper.

B

Brian Myers

Yep. Made a scraper out of an old small chisel to clean up the outside of bowls. Its not HSS so it needs to be sharpened more often , but it works. :cool:

You can do!. I have several old 1/2' wide chisels that I turned into fairly long scrapers for working the inside of boxes. Echo the frequent sharpening need, but that's a minor point, IMO.
:cool:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Charlie Harley said:
Any suggestions or things to watch out for? Any suggestions about how to make a new longer handle?
It depends on the type of steel used, but chances are a chisel will work fine (I am guessing ti is a carving type chisel, not a cold chisel)

As far as handles, you can make them like any other turning tool handle. First remove the old handle with hack saws and if wood, you can usually split whatever is left after you saw off the old handle BEHIND THE TANG. Don't saw off the tang.

I would search the archives here for how to make tool handles.
If you post a picture of the tool, it may make it a bit easier to comment about it's usefulness.

Back