• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Corkern

Hello all, I live in a small rural Parish(County for the rest of you) in South East Louisiana(Washington), my first introduction to turning was in high school in the mid seventies and continued thru trade school till 79. Never got to serious about turning, started raising a family so that put a damper on my turning. Decided a few months back to get a lathe, called a couple of friends that turned or had turned to see if they knew of one for sale. I ended up with an old General made in Canada with riser blocks, 2 HP motor that is variable speed and has step pulleys, I really like it. I teach at a Technical Community College, and have done so for 20 years now, looking forward to maybe retiring in a few years. I will be going to Raleigh next month and hope to pick up much information there. I am attaching a picture of my lathe and combination dust extractor/tool holder(4 foot box fan, weather permitting I will open up 2 double doors and turn on the fan behind me, working on a dust hood made from a plastic drum with my dust collector hooked to it. Look forward to maybe meeting some of you in Raleigh. Mark
lathe and fan picture.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Attending the symposium will be well worth it. Have you joined AAW? Joined local chapter? Remember to take some crawfish with you, you probably won't find any in NC.
Used to live in Shreveport and Pineville.

Welcome to the forum. Attending the symposium will be well worth it. Have you joined AAW? Joined local chapter? Remember to take some crawfish with you, you probably won't find any in NC.
Used to live in Shreveport and Pineville.
I have joined AWW but have not joined the local chapter yet

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hey Mark. Welcome from down here in bayou country! I'm in Houma but lived in Hammond (went to SLU) and used to ride my bike up to Franklinton and Bogalusa. And like John said, bring some crawfish for him. :)

I really wanted to go to Raliegh (my brother lives there) but just can't get there this year.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome to the crew. I think there is only one club near you in Lafayette , if it is still there, small club. I hail from Jena a bit north. Looks like you jumped in with both feet with the General.

That is one heck of a lathe isn't it Gerald? Looks like something built to last forever.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I ended up with an old General made in Canada with riser blocks, 2 HP motor that is variable speed and has step pulleys, I really like it. I

Welcome, Mark..... I also have an old General 260 (1996) w/ riser blocks but it only has a 1 hp motor. I don't think a 2 hp was even an option back then. The nameplate on the headstock is much smaller. I also have a large hand crank above the lower door which I believe was probably used to change speeds on the older version Reeves drive. Now (then) it is (was) used to raise and lower the motor frame for belt/pulley changes. You'll be glad to hear that it has been a very reliable machine .... not a single problem. I did have to change the belt once but used a link belt to avoid having to pull the spindle out.
What is that mounted on your banjo? Is it a carving vise?

That is one heck of a lathe isn't it Gerald? Looks like something built to last forever.

Have a friend with one of these and it is a monster to move. It rests on two columns and the only way we could see was to move the whole thing as one piece. Did it on movers dollies rolling on ply in the yard it tipped and smashed the speed controller. That hurt my heart. No other damage to it.

Welcome to the crew. I think there is only one club near you in Lafayette , if it is still there, small club. I hail from Jena a bit north. Looks like you jumped in with both feet with the General.
Bayou Woodturners meet in Pochatoula, I have gone to one of their meetings, I know a couple of members, just have not joined yet.

Have a friend with one of these and it is a monster to move. It rests on two columns and the only way we could see was to move the whole thing as one piece. Did it on movers dollies rolling on ply in the yard it tipped and smashed the speed controller. That hurt my heart. No other damage to it.
It was a challenge to move, especially by myself, took the bed off and moved it with an appliance dolly.

Welcome, Mark..... I also have an old General 260 (1996) w/ riser blocks but it only has a 1 hp motor. I don't think a 2 hp was even an option back then. The nameplate on the headstock is much smaller. I also have a large hand crank above the lower door which I believe was probably used to change speeds on the older version Reeves drive. Now (then) it is (was) used to raise and lower the motor frame for belt/pulley changes. You'll be glad to hear that it has been a very reliable machine .... not a single problem. I did have to change the belt once but used a link belt to avoid having to pull the spindle out.
What is that mounted on your banjo? Is it a carving vise?
I think it is a carving vise, I bought this whole setup from a very talented woodturner who lives close by, he is having some health issues and said that he didn't need this one any more. He actually taught some classes at the John C. Campbell Folk School. I told him that I hope he left some of his magic in the lathe. This one originally had a 1 HP motor, but when the previous owner received it, he contacted the company and they sent a 2 HP motor along with a technician down from Canada to put it in. I really like the step pulley/variable speed control setup.

Hey Mark. Welcome from down here in bayou country! I'm in Houma but lived in Hammond (went to SLU) and used to ride my bike up to Franklinton and Bogalusa. And like John said, bring some crawfish for him. :)

I really wanted to go to Raliegh (my brother lives there) but just can't get there this year.
My brother went to SLC/SLU 66/70 for his BS and 71/73 for his Masters. One of my sisters lived in Houma for several years 901 Eagle Drive.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
What a small world Mark. I drove by your sister's house for nearly 30 years! She's close to an elementary school and the fire department. I managed a piece of business for a Shell client up the road on 445 - a training center for an oil company.

When I finally got around to going back to school it was early 80s, but I would have been graduating class of 77 had I gone straight out of high school.

Back