• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Fairchild

I started turning 3 years ago after retiring from road and bridge construction.
Turning interest are bowls and hollow forms, or whatever strikes my fancy when the wood is in the lathe.
As I also do leather work I have combined the two on occasion. Obviously I am not a photographer!
I’m looking forward to learning from the vast amount of knowledge I see here!
FC2AB67A-1186-437F-8458-2CF71A01B9D7.jpeg

421E43ED-768C-418B-A6CF-6A46467AB104.jpeg53713105-4634-413B-A15E-BBE59C6342F0.jpeg506684FB-6400-4DB8-9F34-1F6DD61E8BC8.jpeg

Welcome Mark! Nice Lathe and work! Your shop us too clean! Let's see some shavings!
Ah! The clean shop. After working for a year with a midi lathe out of a spare stall in the barn I built a 17’ x 30’ shop and ordered a Robust. The new lathe arrived the day after the shop was finished. It has not been clean since. Thank you for the welcome.

Welcome from Ohio. Looking for your sharing and questioning. Your pieces are great looking. Did you do the leather tooling?
Gene, yes I did. It is another hobby of mine. For me, making the bowl is the easy part. Drawing a pattern and tooling the leather takes a lot of time. The band is made in two pieces and laced together. Thank you for the welcome. 4D94501B-F07E-407B-A9A1-AB8B6F9EEEF2.jpeg

great work. Would love to learn more re the leather.
Thank you very much Allen. Leather work is a discipline within itself. For tooling or stamping I use vegetable tanned leather. . I make a pattern to fit the particular bowl I have turned. This is transferred to the leather and tooled. After dying, the background is dyed black. The finished piece is attached with contact cement and laced on opposite ends. The pattern is then thrown away so I never make a duplicate. Everything I have learned on tooling leather has been learned by watching Don Gonzales on UTube. He is a saddle maker in Texas. He is an excellent teacher. If there is anything more specific you would like to know let me know. A bit of a warning here. If there is anything more painful to watch thann someone turning their first bowl with no real instruction, it’s watching someone tool leather for the first time. It’s a long learning curve and I’m still on it.

Thank you Sir. Glad to meet another Turner from Mississippi! Hope we can meet face to face soon.
Sorry I did not get back to you. Had a knee replacement the 23rd. Our club meets the the Ms Ag Museum in Jackson every 3rd Saturday. We have several members in Hattiesburg area and maybe you could carpool.

Back