• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Racowsky

Hello from northern California. I'm a former High School teacher (math) who has been working (with) wood since I was in Jr. High School and now I'm well beyond that age. I became interested in lathe work about 30 years ago… Goodness! when I put it in those terms it doesn't seem like it has been that long. Anyway, I've taken a few classes when time and money became available and now I focus mostly on bowls and boxes making bottle stoppers and back scratchers with left over scraps. I've sold a few items but mostly give my products away to friends or make charitable donations. I recently upgraded my Nova 16-24 belt-drive to the DVR Headstock and, so far, I'm pretty glad I did, although there's a lot to the control module beyond controlling speed that, at this time, leaves me clueless. At least I know how to control the speed so I can still operate the machine. I don't typically take photos of my bowls, although I have been encouraged to do so. Still, I do have a few pics and I've attached those photos I could find of three of my bowls. Oh, and a picture of my dog Maggie in front of my shop. Lathe with welding helmet (since replaced with an Airshield Pro) sitting on the lathe bed.

Attachments

• Alder Butcherblock1.JPG
    Alder Butcherblock1.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Ash1 copy.jpg
    Ash1 copy.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 38
  • Walnut1.jpg
    Walnut1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Maggie & Shop.jpg
    Maggie & Shop.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 45
Howdy and welcome from Texas! I really like the walnut piece. Gracie the shop dog says hello to Maggie.
IMG_4898.jpeg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Mark, welcome form Chattanooga! That’s a nice looking shop and shop dog. I’m a big fan of that Ash bowl. Looking forward to seeing more of your pieces!

Hi Michael, thank you. The shop is a point of pride and a lifelong collection. The shop dog thanks you for your kindness.
Here are a couple more pictures of the ash bowl. 48F1ADCD-FA06-4270-AB28-19D7ADF2E71D.jpeg9274AEEE-CD28-4D82-8C42-AC5E1189CB68.jpeg

I recently upgraded my Nova 16-24 belt-drive to the DVR Headstock and, so far, I'm pretty glad I did, although there's a lot to the control module beyond controlling speed that, at this time, leaves me clueless.
Welcome! The upgrade you have is very similar to the drive on my Nova Galaxi. 3 settings to look into:

> catch sensing - found this too sensitive, I leave it off. The drive will still sense a heavy dig-in and trip.

> speed ramp - how fast the drive ramps up

> electronic brake - how fast the drive stops from current speed. From the middle setting and up, it will cause a chuck or faceplate to unwind with moderately heavy work. I use it, but my all chucks and faceplates have a set screw. I also hollow in reverse. Great for a quck inspection of progress.

Doug, Thanks for the welcome, and thank you so much for the settings information. All I got in the way of information was how to find the them. I'll probably check out the catch sensing for my lathe, but I'll probably do what you're doing in the end.
You hollow in reverse? I've never tried that. I guess you can see better without having to break your back and strain your neck. Huh. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks, again!
M

Back