• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Mark Read" button

I've just discovered the "Mark Read" button on the top right of the list of posts in each forum category. (Like "Tutorials and Tips") If it's been there a while, I've not noticed it, but have found it very useful.

If you click on it, all of the messages in that forum category will be marked as read. Without this function, if there is a thread that is of no interest to you, with messages you haven't and never will view, the category title or heading always appears in bold type. After using the "Mark Read" button, all threads are marked as read and the heading or title for the category turns back to regular type. Then, when you come back to the forum next time, you can instantly see if something new has appeared, or if you can safely pass over that category. This is a real time saver. Thank you tecnical support people.

I always just use the "new posts" link , right click and open in new tab, quick read and close that tab, which seems more efficient to me... But then I'm on windows PC, so, to each their own.. .
OK, there's another button I haven't discovered. Where does somebody find that one?

I use the New Posts button, but I don’t right click. I left click and see all new posts and read the ones I choose. The I "Mark Read" for the entire forum from the New Posts page and sign out.

When I click on the New Posts option, I get three pages of stuff. They can't all be truly new. Some of them are old and just posts that I disregarded. Not as efficient for me.

Once you select the New Posts button the right hand side of the page just above the time for the top post there is a "Filter" button. You can select "Unread threads" and you will only see new unread threads since the forum was last marked read when "New posts" is selected.

Back