• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Marshall Sadler

I am 15 and have been turning for almost 1 1/2 years. My woodworking journey started with whittling which led to carving then turning. I was a decent carver, my favorite project was a wooden necktie that I wore to church once. Than older gentlemen in my church invited me to his shop to turn a bowl; I was hooked. I then bought a Rikon 70-220VSR and set up shot in my dad's mower shed. I watched Stuart Batty's videos on Vimeo along with recorded club demonstrations. This "advanced knowledge" allowed my skill to increase very rapidly. I started receiving larger and larger logs and felt I was outgrowing my lathe. I was in the market for a new, larger lathe when I saw a used Oneway 2436 near me. I jumped at the chance and got it. My new Oneway required 220v and thus required a new shop. MY Oneway has allowed me to expand my turning capabilities. My lathe is a blessing and I hope to bless others through it. This forum is a wealth of information that continues to grow and I am glad to be a part of it.

IMG_4188.jpg

Some of my previous work.
IMG_3785.jpg
IMG_3918.jpg

I am 15 and have been turning for almost 1 1/2 years....

From one forum newbie to another - welcome, Marshall.
A suggestion for you- check out the "find a local chapter" link on the main website. If there's one near you, find a way to get there.
There's no better way to learn than watching someone in person, and being able to ask questions. And probably getting some hands on instruction.

That Oneway is a great score!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice story Marshall of your journey into woodturning. You are well on your way to be a proficient wood turner. Keep it up and learn all you can.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Welcome Marshall.....:D

You have earned some admiration already!:)

The Oneway 2436 is an outstanding lathe. You have great potential......All of us have had disappointments, so understand it's just something you have to deal with. Believe in yourself, and never give up!

-----odie-----

Congratulations on some outstanding work. Starting at such a young age will give you many years of experience and satisfaction of turning mere pieces of wood into works of art.

Thank you all for your kind words. My plan for the large blank on the lathe is a coffee table. I originally thought of making it into a platter, that would be impractical as it is 46 inches across. I recently finished a 24 inch sombrero platter and even that is hard to store and display.

Back