• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Masterforce bench grinder

Looked up since I have never heard of it before. My 3/4 hp Baldor grinder is rated 4.5 amps. My 1 hp Rikon is rated 7 amps. That doesn't really mean a whole lot, in part because they both seem to have the same amount of power. I do think the 1/2 hp Rikon is underpowered, but the 1 hp is not. My Baldor, well, it is a Baldor..... Not sure if I would use a variable speed unless I had some serious shaping to do and had a 36 grit wheel on the grinder.

robo hippy

Looks to be the same as a lot of the grinders made for different labels. I have a large Jet Variable Speed and I like that feature. I like a grinder that comes up to speed right away. I formerly had a pretty expensive Dayton that took a long time to get up. I sold it. If you can try it out in the store that would be good.

I don't have personal experience with that grinder, and I haven't bought much else that was labeled Masterforce. Masterforce is the house brand for Menard's, and maybe just me being a snob, but I don't see it as a top tier brand. I could be wrong.

Would you be saving much money over a Rikon or other better known maker? If not, I don't think variable speed is a particularly valuable feature. Since you mentioned that you're interested in a CBN wheel you might want to compare to the cost of a grinder & CBN package, e.g. from Woodturner's Wonders.

Although a grinder is a pretty simple machine, keep in mind that the shafts and the wheels need to run true, which is frequently not the case out of the box. One of the advantages of a package deal is that everything should be true.

Last edited:
I don't have personal experience with that grinder, and I haven't bought much else that was labeled Masterforce. Masterforce is the house brand for Menard's, and maybe just me being a snob, but I don't see it as a top tier brand. I could be wrong.

Would you be saving much money over a Rikon or other better known maker? If not, I don't think variable speed is a particularly valuable feature. Since you mentioned that you're interested in a CBN wheel you might want to compare to the cost of a grinder & CBN package, e.g. from Woodturner's Wonders.

Although a grinder is a pretty simple machine, keep in mind that the shafts and the wheels need to run true, which is frequently not the case out of the box. One of the advantages of a package deal is that everything should be true.
Thank you I will take a look at the package deal. Masterforce, I do have an impact drill that has held up through a lot of building. I think part of the waiver is as well if I even need variable speed.

The Rikon is probably the most popular slow speed grinder. I consider the 1/2 hp one to be too light weight. You can get the light weight wheels from Ken Rizza, and it still takes a while to get up to speed and takes a long time to roll to a stop. The 1 hp Rikon has plenty of power for the solid steel wheels. It comes up to speed as fast as my Baldor does, but takes forever to run down to 0.

robo hippy

Jim Harris

Banned
Banned
Looks to be the same as a lot of the grinders made for different labels. I have a large Jet Variable Speed and I like that feature. I like a grinder that comes up to speed right away. I formerly had a pretty expensive Dayton that took a long time to get up. I sold it. If you can try it out in the store that would be good.
Hi,
How are you liking your grinder? I’ve been thinking about getting the same unit. Do you know if 1.5” cbn wheels will fit?
Thanks,
James

Last edited:
Do not have that grinder but have a Jet.
8" varable speed grinder.
Mostlikly over kill for sharping but it is a great grinder, I did upgrade the wheels

Back