• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

McNaughton Center Saver System

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC01235.JPG
The set includes all cutters shown, 2 tool posts, handles, laser guide ( not working) with holders, a custom made compact tailstock, Mike Mahoney's DVD and a custom case as shown.
$750.00 call 218 573 2386 or Email drwatt@arvig.net

Last edited:
I see in your set you have both the older and newer style tool posts. I have the older style so was wondering is there much of a difference in the way the two function?

Also seeing you are selling these, was wondering if you were getting away from coring or have chosen a different system?

I think those cedar coasters you helped me figure out what to do with have been in the garbage bag for two months now, will check them in another month or so. Thanks for the pictures of your sled, I built one much like yours, one thing I did was build and clamp a length block in front of the blade so when the piece cleared the blade, it was free to fall away from the blade, that also allowed the piece in the sled to shift ever so slightly if it needed to without binding against the fence. Much of the cedar was not straight so shifted a bit at every cut almost. Never had a piece roll with that sled, great idea...thanks again.

Last edited:
I see in your set you have both the older and newer style tool posts. I have the older style so was wondering is there much of a difference in the way the two function?

Also seeing you are selling these, was wondering if you were getting away from coring or have chosen a different system?

I think those cedar coasters you helped me figure out what to do with have been in the garbage bag for two months now, will check them in another month or so. Thanks for the pictures of your sled, I built one much like yours, one thing I did was build and clamp a length block in front of the blade so when the piece cleared the blade, it was free to fall away from the blade, that also allowed the piece in the sled to shift ever so slightly if it needed to without binding against the fence. Much of the cedar was not straight so shifted a bit at every cut almost. Never had a piece roll with that sled, great idea...thanks again.
There isn't a lot of difference but the smaller knives don't work with the old style and the larger knives don't work with the new style.
I am just not interested in coring anymore so I am downsizing a bit.
The stop block you mentioned is something I usually use but apparently it didn't show on the photo I posted. The smaller cookies that I have cut I just laid on wafer board and stored out in the open and if some of them developed radial cracks they went into the fire. The larger cookies I also cut in half through the pith, lay them on wafer board in matched pairs then when dry I straighten the faces and glue them back together.

I use to core quite a bit but lost interest in large bowls and have an abundance of cereal size first turned bowls. Thought about using the handle for some of my gouges but those handles are too heavy for my liking.

I did pick up and rough in 4 sugarberry bowls of good size. May core those as a set of matching grain bowls in that wood is nice.

Thanks, was curious about the holders and being nosy about you selling them...:)

Hi Don,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

By "plans" I mean measurements, drawings, or a Sketch Up file that would help me build one.

Thanks,
I did not make a plan I just started building. The 4 sides of the case are 3/4" red oak boards and the top slide cover and bottom is 1/2" maple Apple Ply. The overall out side dimensions are 19 1/2" X 27" X 5". The inside tray is basswood about 11/16" thick with a 1/4" plywood backer applied after all of the cutouts were made (note that the cutouts for the smaller smaller cutters had small blocks glued into the bottom of the cutout so that all cutters extended the same distance above the tray).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back