• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

medical insurance

when my plant closed and went to china, i got an individual policy with $10000 deductable with Anthem which is blue cross blue shield the price is
$130/month $20/30 copay

today i talked with Sturat Pace, a representative of Associate Health Programs which does the AAW insurance, he quoted me $5000 deductable for $360 a month #35 copay

the Anthem is an individual policy, AHP is a group policy

the AHP is much more than i wanted to pay, i was looking to reduce my monthy cost but the group cost is higher than the individual cost

is there something i should ask for?, Sturart was trying to tell me that i was not getting a $10000 deductable, i called Anthem, asked them if i had a heart attack or cancer, they said i pay the first $10000 then they pay the rest :eek:

Charlie,

I called the AAW Group Plan about a year ago only to discover that their monthly premiums, deductible, and co-pay seemed to be quite high.

At $350 a month with $5,000 deductible, you'd end up paying $9,200 in one year for health insurance before you would realize any benefits, should you have claims that amounted to $10,000. Sounds like your other plan is less expensive, as long as you are healthy.

Either way, though, if you have a major illness with high medical bills in one year, it's expensive. You will have paid out $9,200 with AAW's insurance plan and $11,560 in your Anthem plan before you've reached your deductible.

Of course there's the "what does it cover" aspect. Read the fine print! I just heard on NPR yesterday that unless you sign up for health insurance after September 23, most policies have a cap limit. When you reach that amount, your benefits are exhausted and your health insurance is dropped.

Ask a lot of questions. Good luck.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Last edited:
Website
www.velvitoil.com
Don't even bother looking into the AAW plan unless you are young and healthy. When I checked into it shortly after it was offered I was told basically to forget it since I was 60. My health was great but that didn't seem to matter. I think it is one of those perks that sounds good but isn't.

Barbara,

btw, are you going to fisherville in october?? i need some more velvit oil !!!!

R

Ron Sardo

Wishin' I was only paying $360 per month.

I'm paying more than double for my family of four.

The cheapest rate I could find was going direct to Blue Cross / Blue Shield ($1000 deductible w/$20 copay - my choice of doctors and hospitals) .

I'm sure your circumstances are different than mine, give them a call and find out.

Back