• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mentor needed

I've been turning now for about six months and have found it to be relaxing and rewarding. I've read many articles and books and have watched hours of video----all have been very helpful. I have also spent many hours on the lathe. I think a mentor would now be a great help as I attempt to hone my skills. I live in east central Indiana----any thoughts or volunteers?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Join a club if you can find one near you. There is a great club that meets in Northern Indianapolis. Probably lots more.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I've been turning now for about six months and have found it to be relaxing and rewarding. I've read many articles and books and have watched hours of video----all have been very helpful. I have also spent many hours on the lathe. I think a mentor would now be a great help as I attempt to hone my skills. I live in east central Indiana----any thoughts or volunteers?

I recommend you contact one or more of the local chapters in your area. Hands on instruction is by far the most effective way to advance your skills and increase your enjoyment of woodturning. Many clubs offer formal mentoring. Consider taking a formal class at a craft school or a turner's studio.

The AAW web site has a chapters search which produced 8 chapters serving Indiana.
If you use their search you can expand the chapter information and find along to most of the chapters web sites.
Only a small fraction of the AAW member routinely visit the forum. Most of the chapter contacts are quite helpful.

8 Records Found Sort by Name | Group
Central Indiana Chapter-AAW
Zionsville, Indiana United States

Flatland Woodturners
Champaign, Illinois United States

I K I Woodturners
Evansville, Indiana United States

Michiana Wood Turners
Niles, Michigan United States

Northeast Indiana Chiselers and Turners
Fort Wayne, Indiana United States

Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild
Cincinnati, Ohio United States

South Suburban Chiselers/Illiana Woodturners
South Holland, Illinois United States

Southeast Indiana Woodturners
Holton, Indiana United States

Last edited:
Tim, I can tell you from personal experience that joining a club is one of the best things you can do to improve your turning. I joined Bucks Woodturners (Eastern PA) about a year and a half ago and have seen wonderful presentations with very detailed information, but also participated in their hands on workshops where an experienced turner works with a small group while they each turn the topic project. Last year I turned my first bowl and this year a finial box, learning new techniques with direct mentoring. I've also found that turners tend to be very nice and generous folks. Get in touch with the nearest club and get to the next meeting. You will be glad you did.
Doug

I found a turning club within 25 miles of my home that I didn't know existed. I'll be attending my first meeting on Wednesday. Thanks for the advice.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I found a turning club within 25 miles of my home that I didn't know existed. I'll be attending my first meeting on Wednesday. Thanks for the advice.

that is what we are here for

Back