• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mentor Wanted

Hello. My name is Darryl Hall and I live In Kings Mountain, NC. I am a complete newbie & would like to find someone in my area that would be kind enough to work with me on learning to turn. Any takers?

Welcome to woodturning Darryl. I'd be happy to help but I think the commute to Wisconsin might be a bit much for you.

Here is a link to help you locate an AAW chapter near you. Call the contact person and get to a meeting. Most all chapters have a mentoring program and I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly and helpful folks at your local chapter.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Good Luck,

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Darryl
It appears to me that the closest clubs (and thus a listing of Mentors) are at Hickory, Waxhaw , and Concord

All look to be roughly an hour from you, but out west (where I am) that's normal

I got this info from the Club Listing section off the main AAW website

TTFN
Ralph

Bad thing

I know it is bad and that you have heard it a jillion times but I just can't help myself. How is John Oates doing?

I know it is bad and that you have heard it a jillion times but I just can't help myself. How is John Oates doing?

A true story. I am 48 now, but when I was a teenager I played in a band and we played at some of the local schools. Now this was before M TV, the Internet and wide spread cable in our small town. People heard the songs on the radio, but didn't really know what a lot of the artist looked like. so, my name & an electric guitar went a long way with some of the girlie's:cool2:

Thanks for the replies. I will check these things out.

Welcome

Darryl,

Welcome to the wonderful world of wood turning. I am also new (about 1 1/2 years) to the turning world and only have a hundred some bowls to my credit. I would be happy to share what I have learned. I live in Asheville. The Carolina Mountain Wood turners which meets usually the 3 rd. Saturday of the month at the Folk Art Center on the parkway in East Asheville is a great place to learn. About an Hour plus from you. I am fairly sure we have members that live close to you.

Good luck, and if there is anything that I can do to help you please feel free to call (828) 275-3283

Dave

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Darryl,

So you've ordered your lathe, and sound like you've begun the adventure.

You have my number... don't hesitate to call.

Back