• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mentor

I am a newer turner and also just moved to San Antonio. I got hooked on turning pretty quick and someday would like to attend a school to learn more.

I have not gotten a chance to meet many turners in the SA area. I am curious if anyone knows of some people that would be good to talk with about mentoring a newer turner? I have gotten a lot of the tools and watched some DVD's as well as read the journal, but that can not take the place of watching an experianced turner.

I was hoping to find some people in the San Antonio/Austin area that I may be able to learn from. Also any DVD's or books that would be good would be helpful.

Any suggestions would be great.

Ben

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
I'm not in your area, but I'd look at the AAW chapters in your area:

FROM http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

Alamo Woodturners
Area Served: San Antonio and neighboring Communities
Meeting City: San Antonio
Meeting State: TX
Meeting Place: Alamo Woodworking Inc 18847 Redland Rd Ste 100
Meeting Date: 4th Thursday
Number of Members: 80
Chapter Web Site: www.alamoturners.com
Bob Thompson
16719 Ledgestone Drive
San Antonio, TX 78232-2409
210-313-9573
Rthompson001@satx.rr.com

Central Texas Woodturners Association
Area Served: Austin and surrounding area
Meeting City: Austin
Meeting State: TX
Meeting Place: Youthworks, 1901 East Ben White Boulevard
Meeting Date: Third Tuesday
Number of Members: 80
Chapter Web Site: CTWA.org
Len Brissette
10901 Cade Circle
Austin, TX 78726
512- 258-4004
mesquite@austin.rr.com

Ben
You might also want to come to the Southwest Area Turners symposium starting this Friday. Go to their website to get the schedule. http://www.swaturners.com/
Hope to see you there, great demonstrations and plenty of great turners to learn from, just don't expect me to be in that group :D

Almost forgot, it is up I35 from San Antonio to Temple, Texas.

Website
www.TurnTex.com
Ben,

I would be more than happy to spend an entire day with you here in my shop in San Marcos. I turn a LOT more than just pens! I was helped by a fellow AAW member in Austin when I got started and would be happy to pass along my knowledge. Just let me know if you are interested.

Curtis Seebeck

Website
www.woodturner.org
Totally agree with Randy's suggestion to go to the SWAT symposium. It is a premier event, and there will be hundreds of turners there. Plus there are lots of presentations from beginner to advanced. The SWAT symposium is a good way to get an immersion into this craft. You are lucky it is so close to San Antone!

I will definately be at SWAT and am looking forward to all the information that will be available.

Curtis...great to see your post. I will track you down on Saturday and we can talk about finding a time to turn some wood.

Thanks everyone. This is a great resource.

Ben

Back