• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Metal Detector

We had a good discussion in the thread Aaron Harris kicked off called "surprises under the bark." I'd appreciate it to know whether or not you guys have found a good and reliable metal detector that works on logs or log segments. Any comments on any useful scanning techniques would also be appreciated.

I had a saw blade that was the best metal-in-wood detector ever devised. Sort of like the blind mine detector, though - it didn't last long.

On the serious side of the cutting edge, I use magnets. Although I don't cut logs, if I did, I think I'd use one of those 300 pound lifting magnets.

One possibility is a wand. Several on the market, including HF...I don't trust their electrical stuff...you get what you pay for. Look here, as there appears to be different sensors available.

Rick, know what you mean. HF is like anything. FWIW, I got their cordless screwdriver about five years ago. Torque wll break your wrist. $20 less than Lowe's for the same thing. Have have a multimeter for several years and still works.

I have the little wizard for boards that does a very good job. They also make a wand version for logs I think called wizard III. I use the little wizard any time I am cutting used boards with my Saw Stop.

Back