• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi! I've been active on the forum for a little bit, but I've never written an introduction post. Here it is!

First off, this community is great. Being able to participate in challenges, be inspired by gallery postings, and interact with so many like-minded folks is such a treat. Beyond the excitement of the forum, I know it's expanded my skill-set and knowledge of the craft tremendously. So, thanks everyone!

I've been woodturning for a year (as of today actually), and have been woodworking in general for a few years. That said, nothing comes close to the joy and satisfaction I get from turning. It is a great creative outlet for me, and gets me working with so many types of wood. I just love it so much, and anticipate this will be a life-long obsession.

For the better part of the last decade my main passion/hobby was rock climbing. It took to me to a lot of great places, and introduced me to a lot of nice people. Here's an interesting photo of my friend taking a photo of me during a trip together a few years ago to Yosemite National Park:

IMG_2033.JPG

I thought climbing was the be all, end all; however, once I had a kid, my mindset changed. The risks I was willing to take were different, and the time I spent away from home (that was never an issue before) made me sad. So, as my son grew (he's currently 1.5 years old), I spent more and more time at home, and eventually caught the woodturning bug. Hard. My wife and I are expecting our second baby boy in a week or two. Soon! Here's my wife and son together this past Halloween (they both dressed up as Tom Cruise in Risky Business, haha):

IMG_2918.JPG

For my profession, I teach Anatomy & Physiology (and other biology courses) at Chattanooga State Community College. It's 90% enjoyable--students are great, the schedule is fantastic, but non-teaching obligations are a drag. Besides woodcraft, I really love to cook and make drinks. Here is an alcoholic concoction that I made this summer (it's currently bottled [to be opened in a couple of weeks], and is very, very sweet and dark--bonus points if you know what it is [black walnuts are the hint]):

IMG_1479.JPG

Back to woodturning! My shop is our single car garage. It's pretty narrow, but it works. I've got a bit of a hoarding problem, so it stays cluttered--working on improving the situation though. I've done most of my tuning on a Nova Comet 2 1216. It was a fantastic little lathe to learn on. A few weeks ago I bought an older used Vicmarc VL300 from a guy in Alabama. It's an amazing beast, and is by far the biggest, most expensive tool that I've ever bought. The logistics of getting it to my shop--what a day/weekend that was. I just got it powered up last week, and and have made a couple of pieces with it so far.

IMG_3160.JPG

Continued in the next post (reached my photo limit)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Here's the VL300 in all its glory. I'm humbled by it's awesomeness, haha.

IMG_3161.JPG

I've posted several pieces I've made to the gallery and in various challenges, but here are a couple other fun ones that make me smile:

F7C97216-0325-4655-881B-F59256C2B2DB.JPG
E2B4E4A6-43BB-43D5-9AF5-27612000F1F1.JPG
Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of this community. It's a great learning experience, and is a whole lot of fun. Cheers!

Attachments

• 03C75B29-6E45-4535-BF02-60AFDF970F17.JPG
    03C75B29-6E45-4535-BF02-60AFDF970F17.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 11

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Robert! You’re right—nocino. I’ve been wanting to make it for years. Finally made it this past June, but can’t try it until around Christmas—it’s a patience game like waiting for wood to dry haha.

And you’re right about the furball too—can’t believe I forgot my fur buddy. That’s my dog Jessup. He’s a 7 year old wire fox terrier, and is my adventure buddy. He likes to sit in my son’s car seat haha.

924933B8-9863-4E02-99CD-51523ACED0D1.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thats a beast of a stand for the vic. I check my local classifieds for one almost every day. I'll find one at some point.
I wish I knew how much it weighs. The guy I bought it from estimated the stand weighs around a thousand pounds. Might be a little high, but probably not too far off.

I did the same check nearly every day. Almost nothing came up ever. Just got lucky one day. You will too!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Vincent! If you haven’t already bought something, keep looking. Maybe Christmas time will bring some surprises.

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

I sold my motorcycles when my daughter was born. She is a school teacher now. Seems like she was a baby just a while ago. They grow up so fast.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hiya Monty! The sacrifices are worth it. You’re right about growing up so fast. Happening right before my eyes.

Welcome Michael! Glad you’ve found a distraction where the distance to fall is a bit shorter! I agree about the most expensive tool. I’ve been woodworking for 50+ years, and even adjusted for inflation, never spent anywhere near what the lathe (PM3520) cost. And that’s just the beginning…. Tools, classes, etc. My wife and I just signed up for parallel classes at the John C. Campbell school in June. Mine is in hollowing. Can’t wait!
Congratulations and best wishes on the growing family.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Howdy Michael.....Most of us here would give anything to have found woodturning at a fairly young age. You'll find that your knowledge will keep improving, and you've got a lot of time to make this passion become something. You can only speculate where it will take you 50 years from now!

I made my first bowl in 1982, at the age of 33, and the journey just keeps getting better for me. If I hadn't have bought that old ShopSmith at a garage sale, none of this would have happened for me at all! I've never stopped turning bowls, and now am 73yo.

My son just got out, after serving 4yrs in the Marines.....my, my.... I remember seeing his head pop out, and taking his first breath! Where does the time go?

Good luck in your future turning, Michael. :)

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Nice job focusing on the family Michael, sobriety helped me do that 5 yrs in (4.75 yrs too late). Great move taking over the one car garage, you should immediately rename it “shop” to avoid confusion when the next new car arrives. I love your “eye” for woodturning, that might have something to do with the perspective you gained hanging on the side of a shear cliff a hundred feet up!! That shop will get a touch smaller when you come into the light and start Segmenting, haha!! Nice to see you jump in and participate here; your experience will grow geometrically by doing so; I speak from experience!!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
And that’s just the beginning…. Tools, classes, etc. My wife and I just signed up for parallel classes at the John C. Campbell school in June. Mine is in hollowing. Can’t wait!
Congratulations and best wishes on the growing family.
Thanks Lou! Gosh, I wonder how much I've spent on tools and everything else that goes along with the lathe. It seems like I've been on the >$100 per month train since I've started turning. Ha! That will be a fun time at the hollowing class in June--even better that your wife will be able to take another class alongside you. Fun!

Howdy Michael.....Most of us here would give anything to have found woodturning at a fairly young age. You'll find that your knowledge will keep improving, and you've got a lot of time to make this passion become something. You can only speculate where it will take you 50 years from now!

I made my first bowl in 1982, at the age of 33, and the journey just keeps getting better for me. If I hadn't have bought that old ShopSmith at a garage sale, none of this would have happened for me at all! I've never stopped turning bowls, and now am 73yo.

My son just got out, after serving 4yrs in the Marines.....my, my.... I remember seeing his head pop out, and taking his first breath! Where does the time go?

Good luck in your future turning, Michael. :)

-----odie-----
Howdy Odie! I'm 36 now, so you beat me by a few years with your first bowl. And I agree, I wish I would have started sooner. I felt the same way when I was climbing a lot, especially when I would see 10 year olds climbing harder routes than me. Mutants, hahaha.

It's been a fun turning journey so far, and I can't wait to see how the rest of it goes. Like most things, I'm sure the path will be windy (wine-dy) and involved. That's great about your son--I'm sure he is happy to start a new chapter. Does he do any turning or related?

Nice job focusing on the family Michael, sobriety helped me do that 5 yrs in (4.75 yrs too late). Great move taking over the one car garage, you should immediately rename it “shop” to avoid confusion when the next new car arrives. I love your “eye” for woodturning, that might have something to do with the perspective you gained hanging on the side of a shear cliff a hundred feet up!! That shop will get a touch smaller when you come into the light and start Segmenting, haha!! Nice to see you jump in and participate here; your experience will grow geometrically by doing so; I speak from experience!!
Hi Russ! Thanks for the kind words--ten years ago, I had no desire to get married, have children, settle down, etc... Totally opposite now--funny how our priorities shift. And hahaha, I think my wife has finally accepted that the garage will never again be a garage. And she's sort of accepting the fact that there will always be random shavings that make it into the house, no matter how careful I am! One of these days I'll try some segmenting---BUT, I think one of the reasons I'm drawn to turning is the lack of complicated glue-ups. So it might be a while, ha! :D

Thanks Lou! Gosh, I wonder how much I've spent on tools and everything else that goes along with the lathe. It seems like I've been on the >$100 per month train since I've started turning. Ha! That will be a fun time at the hollowing class in June--even better that your wife will be able to take another class alongside you. Fun!

Howdy Odie! I'm 36 now, so you beat me by a few years with your first bowl. And I agree, I wish I would have started sooner. I felt the same way when I was climbing a lot, especially when I would see 10 year olds climbing harder routes than me. Mutants, hahaha.

It's been a fun turning journey so far, and I can't wait to see how the rest of it goes. Like most things, I'm sure the path will be windy (wine-dy) and involved. That's great about your son--I'm sure he is happy to start a new chapter. Does he do any turning or related?

Hi Russ! Thanks for the kind words--ten years ago, I had no desire to get married, have children, settle down, etc... Totally opposite now--funny how our priorities shift. And hahaha, I think my wife has finally accepted that the garage will never again be a garage. And she's sort of accepting the fact that there will always be random shavings that make it into the house, no matter how careful I am! One of these days I'll try some segmenting---BUT, I think one of the reasons I'm drawn to turning is the lack of complicated glue-ups. So it might be a while, ha! :D
Michael, You may have stumbled upon the perfect solution to your preceded dilemma. In a year or so begin mentioning that with a detached shop/studio the garage would be open for an automobile and the likelihood of shaving getting into the house would be greatly reduced. Fumes from finishing products is also a great "reason". Been married 53 years AND to the same wonderful lady.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Daniel, I like that idea. The ole “honey, I’m really doing this for you” strategy. Perfect, hahaha.

Congratulations on the 53–that’s something you don’t here much these days. I’ve been with my wife for 10 years in March, though only married for 4.5. Something about dragging my feet…

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I've enjoyed reading your "introductory" post ... even though you've been a very active participant on the forum for awhile now. ;)
Sounds like you have all your priorities in order. Family is the most important of all. Two sons - congratulations !!! (more so to your wife :)).

You have made some very interesting and well made pieces ..... showing technique and creativity far beyond your one year of experience.
Looking forward to see where you will go in the next few years.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I've enjoyed reading your "introductory" post ... even though you've been a very active participant on the forum for awhile now. ;)
I have a problem with procrastination. Ha!

But seriously, thanks for the kind words Tom. Means a lot coming from you. And thanks for the congratulations—I’m not entirely mad that I have the easy job during pregnancy ;)

This place is great though. It’s great hang out on the internet with so many creative folks. On the shoulders of giants as they say.

Last edited:
Welcome Michael! I’m a fellow risk taker - motorcycles. Got my license at 14 (48 yrs road riding) and have never stopped, through 2 kids, 32 yrs of marriage, and a couple of bike related extended hospital stays. Probably a good choice to hang up the climbing equipment for the next 20 yrs or so.

I got started in flat ww when my son was in hi school shop. Played with my 1st lathe for a few years and then started turning bowls and hf’s, and the obsession began (kids were out of the house). I started mainly with segmenting (~8 yrs ago) but then I discovered wet wood turning and have yet to return to segmenting - the most enjoyable part for me is putting tool to wood, and in segmenting that’s a small part of a project.

Thats a nice 2nd lathe.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Doug! Very cool about the motorcycles. i always wanted to ride, but just never got around to it. Probably never will, but who knows what the future holds! I suspect the climbing gear will never fully be hung up either.

Thanks for sharing your turning journey. It’s always interesting to hear how/why people settle into their specialty/focus.

’m loving the VL300 so far. So many people recommended the “next lathe, last lathe” approach, so I saved up and hit the used market. This one is from the 90s and I have no doubt it will outlast me.

Last edited:
Back