• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Michael Dean

Greetings -

While I have a good deal of experience in other areas of woodworking, I am a complete novice in turning. I'm looking forward to learning more about this unique skill.

Before I retired a few years ago, I was a hands-on mechanical engineer, and later an engineering manager, for a number of different industries. Product design, manufacturing processes, and building plant equipment were my major areas of activity. I worked as a millwright both for income and experience when I was in school.

I live in Alpharetta, Georgia with my best friend, my wife. I have two adult children and four grandsons, all living in the local area.

I've recently been attending meetings of the Atlanta Woodturners Guild, which has been helpful.

My grandfather left me an early model Rockwell/Delta 46-111 lathe from the early 1960s and some Rockwell turning tools. I've just finished a rebuild and modernization to improve performance and operator safety. I'm expecting to get the basics learned with this equipment, and I'm pleased to renew his old favorite machine.

I removed the old open frame fixed speed motor (with bad bearings) and (dangerous) light switch control. I added a 3/4 hp totally enclosed, fan cooled (TEFC) motor and a variable frequency drive (VFD) in a dustproof Nema 4 enclosure to provide four ranges of variable speed. I also added an emergency stop and power-on indicator light. All wiring is in liquid-tite conduit except the power cord of course.

I replaced the original bearings in the headstock and used a file to true up the alloy step pulleys. I raised the lathe up to a comfortable height as I'm tall.

The stop bar for the indexing feature is very difficult to move, so I still have a bit of work to do there, but she's up and running.

Photos are attached, and my favorite ice cream flavor is coffee....

PXL_20230911_130539912.jpgPXL_20230911_130517238.jpgPXL_20230911_130634992.jpg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Welcome from Chattanooga! I like the rebuild details on your lathe--very cool! Looking forward to seeing you progress as a turner. There are a lot of great resources here, and a lot of wildly knowledgeable folks. See you around the forum!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Welcome! Nice rebuild on the lathe. Curious ... why isn't your VFD control box facing your standing/working position?

Two reasons it's to the side.

This way I have to stand out of the line of fire to start it up (the main reason), and I found I could turn it 90 and mount it lower down, which fit my space better and was subject to noticeably less vibration (secondary benefits). The oak post is pretty stout and well anchored, and the machine is pretty smooth, but less vibration is still better.

Back